Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: Jack_C] #31759 01/05/14 03:58 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

it is real nice to see a cooling off period that seems to be developing among all you debaters, this is much needed for progress forward

I have nothing against progress but then one has to realize just how far and how big and how quick the organization has to move in a certain time frame

take farming for instance, the playing field is open to everyone to move as fast forward as you like but remember there is always a catch like to move to one more level , you will need more land, larger machinery, more cattle, and the list goes on--, or you can move to a certain level and remain there as long as one can make a decent living.

I sort of feel that maybe the TFG moved just a little to fast and maybe needs to regroup--I have been following its progress along for some time, and my personal feelings are that we still have a great group --be its smaller size--this could be no doubt attributed to the rough economic cycles which was hard to forecast and maybe some bad calls, I am not one to judge--

I know for example my son who dairy farms had to ride out the bad publicity connected with the "mad cow disease" which hit swift and hard at the dairy industry, he hung on for a merry ride but in the process gained valuable management experience

I have noted for instance the housing market's up's and down's weeding out those that made real bad choices--leaving those that chose to remain and rebuild

riding out hard times will mature the TFG, and mould it into a reality organization--listen closely to your gut feelings, and follow good well organized leaders, chose them wisely for their knowledge not necessarily their degrees

at UCV when I worked there the public enjoyed listening to just common folk, they were not interested in listening to those dressed in suits and ties, they wanted to hear and be taught the basic structures of life and living

The National Geographic magazine went through many harrowing growing pains, but stuck by its ideals

food for thought

NH

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: northern hewer] #31778 01/08/14 05:06 PM
K
KevinL Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I was thinking about the problems that the guild was having and the comments about how large the guild was and that the BOD's were volunteers. In putting things into perspective, my home owners association for my neighborhood has a $2,000,000+ budget every year and is run by volunteers. We do however hire a professional management company to run the day to day operations. I pay roughly $1.00 per day for the privilege. With all that said I think the guild needs to pony up get a management company raise the membership dues to cover the amount and once we are out of the woods and the guild is back in the black then lower the dues accordingly. We will loose a few folks along the way. But if that is their level of commitment then we are better off without them.

Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #31779 01/08/14 05:21 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Kevin,

I must disagree to some extent.

For some of us, raising our dues will eliminate the possibility of maintaining our membership. It's not simply a matter of commitment, etc. It is a matter of having the funds available. Right now, for example, my membership is lapsed but I will renew it as soon as possible. I am sure my situation is not entirely unique.

I am sure there are other ways we can raise money.

It occured to me as I was reading this, can we do 'fundraisers' of some sort for the guild?

For example, could we hold some kind of workshop -build a shed, for example- direct the proceeds of this (minus minimal expenses)
to the guild, and sell the frame and give that to the guild? Just one example. This would entail volunteer work -find people who would be willing to do the work for the guild, not themselves.
To me, this sort of thing shows a higher level of commitment than paying your dues. For some, those with money to spare, it's easy to pay dues and say you are committed to the guild without ever actually doing anything for the guild. Dues help, yes, and are important. But others can't help in the financial areas -we need other opportunities.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: D L Bahler] #31780 01/08/14 05:56 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
DL,

To follow up on your thoughts of money / contributions - here are some things most people can do to help: (copied from another thread)

1. Become a Member

2. Volunteer by contacting Brenda Baker, our program director: brenda@tfguild.org (we'll have need for volunteers after the BoD's February Face to Face meeting, where we hope to lay out some strategies for 2014 - many short term, but some long term)

3. Consider donating to the Heritage Appeal: http://www.tfguild.org/about/heritageappeal

4. Contribute to Timber Framing (contact Ken Rower via our website),

And more things: contribute to Scantlings, host a regional meeting, advertising in our publications, taking on an apprentice (if you are in the Journeyworker program), volunteering for a project (we have a couple of nice ones in development for 2014), buying a gift membership for a family member, friend, or co-worker, etc. etc. etc.

Where the rubber meets the road is an ACTIVE membership, getting involved in the heavy lifting of our workload (now that we are trying to control costs with limited administrative overhead), volunteering for tasks, writing, and of course, cold, hard $$$$.

I know not everyone can contribute $$ - and I can tell you that my work on the BoD has taken a bite out of my billable hours - we welcome contributions in many forms.

Last edited by bmike; 01/08/14 05:57 PM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: bmike] #31821 01/11/14 05:42 PM
Jack_C Offline
Mike...thanks for "bulleting" the options for providing support to the GUILD during this extraordinary...or any time in its existence. Actively participating is an important aspect of membership in any ORG. The GUILD is not alone in its economically stressed circumstances. Virtually all ORGs, non-profit and otherwise, are included. However...I believe the especially "connective" nature of the GUILD membership provides a level of inoculation against the potent virus of even globalized fiscal downturns.

DL is on the mark in exploring and contributing ideas, as is Mike in reminding us that a variety of individual contributions are available and essential to our future.

Kevin...although it's hard to disagree with the success of some kinds of association management...especially the Home Owners model...as evidenced by the GUILD's recent attempt to engage this format, the level of equity required is daunting, and the DNA of the GUILD family presents special nuances which may not be typical of other ORG's.

In the interim we can do what you can "individually". As per Mike's list of options, visit the TFG store today and BE VISIBLE in the area which speaks to you personally.

For $20.00, for instance you can contribute to the Membership Support Fund which will allow the GUILD to RE-Member former or lapsed members who are temporarily disconnected from the TFG roles. As evidenced by the passion, intelligence and dedication of those who participate in these forums, we may be suffering from a loss of intellectual property in areas where "Members Only" have access.

Personally I believe regaining our lost or sidelined colleagues may be the single most important action we can take. You can contribute toward RE-Membering a colleague at this link: http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/meresufu.html.

Please consider PARTICIPATING in any way you can TODAY.

BE VISIBLE!

Jack Costantino, Pres.
Timber Frames Unlimited, LLC
jack@timberframesunlimited.com
TFBC BoD
Re: What are we going to do after the guild is dead! [Re: KevinL] #32387 06/23/14 02:35 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
The Guild won't die. We work in a cyclical industry and we are suffering the pain of a down cycle in Guild finances. Clearly, by the passion displayed here, many people are deeply committed to the Guild and will not let it die. One thing I do not take for granted is that the Guild is so young. Most of the founding members are still alive, many are still involved with the Guild. 100 years from now members will look back and wonder at how we did what we did with what we have.

Jim D.

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users