Rate Thread
44" Daimeter Oak Tree #32407 07/10/14 08:08 PM
M
msmit Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello all, I'm new here.

The Short Version:
I live on a one acre wooded lot in Will County, Illinois. I had a pretty large white Oak tree come down on/near my house in a big storm last week. Its about 44" diameter at chest height. and 40' long. (splits into limbs at 20') I'd like to see it milled into timbers/boards - either for me to use or to sell or for one of you to use, or some combination of these.

The Long/Tricky Version:
I, however am not really a timber framer, but an architect who loves timber frame construction. I called your office for help and they said to post here. and the "help wanted" thread said to email, so I'm doing both.

The tree fell in a spot that is relatively innaccessible to heavy machinery - a small tractor or on foot is easy though. the log is currently balanced on two stone retaining walls on small slope above a creek.

I've removed the upper canopy and brush and any limbs my 16" chainsaw could handle. That leaves me with about a 40' log that splits into major limbs halfway up. The log is bent, so it would really probably only produce good 10'-15' long sections. The log is balanced oddly on the stone and limbs, so it would be difficult to cut into smaller lengths to work with.

This leads me to think a portable ripping chainsaw mill (similar to an alaskan) would be a good fit because it could be reduced into timbers and removed a little at a time without risking further damage to the retaining walls. but I'm no expert. Yes I'm aware of the risk that the wood may not be of great quality. But if its usable, i'd like to use some of it as a roof for a root cellar so it doesn't have to be perfect.

If you're interested in being hired to mill it anr/or buying the wood and/or have ideas, please let me know. I've attached the best pictures of it i have.

Image Links:
http://imgur.com/QsYFfu4

http://imgur.com/hOoyscu

http://imgur.com/QIZHers

Thanks In Advance!

Re: 44" Daimeter Oak Tree [Re: msmit] #32426 07/17/14 02:42 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Welcome to the forum, msmit!

Not being local to you I can only offer my observations:

For the scenario you describe, I am almost certain that the cost to recover and convert the material would far exceed the value of the wood.

Milling big (make that very big) logs on site with an Alaskan mill or even a swingblade Lucas type mill is not economically feasible in most cases when compared with the price of commercially available timbers/lumber.

Perhaps someone local will chime in, but I would not get my hopes up unless cost is not a consideration.

best,
Gabel

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users