Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cheese and Timber Framing #31955 01/30/14 11:18 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
Some times, timber framers have a life outside of timber framing. It may come as a shock to some to reveal that timber framing does not totally occupy my time.

Right now, along with my brother, I am in the long and arduous process of starting a new business.
A business that does not involve timber framing full time.
It's not that I don't love this craft, and it's not that I don't hope to continue to pursue it and to expose new (old) methods to craftsmen around the country. It's that I want to do something I have always wanted to do since I was little, while still being able to pursue timber framing. In other words, I want to have my cake and eat it too.
And I've found, I think, the ticket.

Right now, I'm building up our farm and redirecting its focus. I'm starting a cheese-making business, which will eventually involve having our own small dairy herd (a mere 8 head)
The focus will be on tradition and natural approaches. The cows will eat grass and natural fodder, the cheeses will have no unnatural ingredients. They are made by hand, washed, and aged for up to 3 years. All is done according to the methods and practices I learned in the Swiss Alps.

All of our facilities will be built to replicate Swiss architecture. Not cheesy facades and trim to make fake Chalets, like some companies have done. This is the real deal. I learned how to build things in Switzerland, so I am going to do things the right way. What's more, the facilities are intentionally built in archaic styles. Part of the overall vision is to, eventually, have a small museum on the grounds to display what life was like several centuries ago. (We haven't really decided a time to pick, so we have been very allowing by building structures that could fit as early as the late Middle Ages)

So of course, timber framing is essential to the business itself since I will have to frame all of these structures.

But timber framing as a profession will not end for me. I still hope to do it. I hope to be able to cut frames when I'm not making cheese.

This community means a lot to me. I thought I would let you all know what I am heading into. Unfortunately, the reality of starting a business makes it difficult to travel to conferences and other guild events

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Cheese and Timber Framing [Re: D L Bahler] #32010 02/14/14 10:22 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Sounds fascinating and rewarding, DL. I wish you the best in your new venture.

Our farm has been slowly expanding. Eggs are all we sell now but we traded for a couple jersey heifers last year so your venture is of particular interest. I have been thinking of yogurt lately as there is a pretty good demand for low fat, high protein strained yogurt around here. I'm not sure who is going to do all that work though! Fortunately we have a lot of frames to build right now.

Some days I imagine a life where farming was my focus rather than building frames. Both are very rewarding.

Re: Cheese and Timber Framing [Re: D L Bahler] #32012 02/14/14 10:34 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I am in the same farm yard, looking like I will be doing more farming and a little less framing. Interesting those two are just the same but arranged slightly different.

Re: Cheese and Timber Framing [Re: D L Bahler] #32021 02/16/14 03:17 AM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
Farming is in the blood, for me.
Not only farming, but cows, and cheese.
The Swiss culture is bred into me, it's a part of me. Always has my dream been just to live that life. If I could, I think I would move back to Switzerland and take up a farm on the Alp.

But so is building bred into me. I could take you to a house built by one of my direct ancestors in 1685, with his name right on it.

But I hope that farming will be a good thing for my family, something we can all have and be a part of. I would love to be able to bring my son up in a barn!

But I am very much a fan of the simple life. It's good, it's calm, it's peaceful. It's a lot of work, but it also allows you to look at what is most important in life. And on a religious note, for those that are religious, I think it's the best life to focus on the faith. I think, maybe there is a reason God told the Israelites to herd cattle and sheep!

Re: Cheese and Timber Framing [Re: D L Bahler] #32448 07/22/14 05:39 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kaserei-grimwald-traditional-handmade-cheese/x/8221101

Please consider lending a hand to my efforts,
and also please consider sharing this with your friends too!
Maybe I should institute a TFG discount on my cheese wink

Re: Cheese and Timber Framing [Re: D L Bahler] #32801 02/18/15 02:25 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Hi Dl

Sorry for not replying sooner, but just ran across this thread

My prayers go with you in your venture, I for one farmed and worked in timber work,and carpenter work,--it sure lead me in the right direction for sure,

Here in Ontario pursuing a dream like yours could not be done, too much gov't control for that to happen, my son with me helping-- what I can-- produces milk, on a quota system, good in some ways not so good in others, it has though let me pursue my dream in life which was to work in the historical restoration field, which might be something for you to think of with all your many historical sites, and your many talents

good luck from the Northern Hewer

Richard

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users