Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I'm new here. #32495 08/02/14 04:01 AM
Joseph_dandrea Offline OP
OP Offline
I just wanted to say hello. I really love the craftsmanship of old log cabins and timber frames and is my dream to own a timber framed home. My wife and I recently bought our second home on 2.66 acres with a very nice basement for a song because it is a manufactured home. That's fine with me I car about the dirt and they very nice basement. The house is just to keep my family dry and warm for a few years until we can build what we want. I dont know that I would tackle building an entire house on my own just yet (or ever really) bet a shed perhaps and eventually a workshop/man cave/gun room/machine shop.

What I do not have is a selection of large trees to have milled into timbers (or a mill for that matter). any timber framing tools.

where do you obtain your timbers from if you do not have access to your own trees. I was thinking of starting really small and maybe building a green house or perhaps garden tool shed. There is a guy on youtube who goes by wranglerstar who has a great web series on timber framing I have been watching.

unfortunately my step dad passed recently and I used a year and a half worth of saved vacation to deal with his estate. So I wont be able to make any timber frame events this year but that seems to be an obvious first step.

Last edited by Joseph_dandrea; 08/02/14 04:03 AM.
Re: I'm new here. [Re: Joseph_dandrea] #32496 08/02/14 11:09 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I don't know the Ohio area, others may comment. I source logs from the site and local loggers. A portable saw mill will know where to get logs. Does Ohio have any good trees to choose from?

Wranglerstar is a hobbyist. He has some good information, he also makes some outstanding mistakes which he passes along as fact. His joinery decisions are far from traditional. Try this guys stuff out, no advertising, or fancy editing just the dirt. I believe he is a Guild member, but won't be attending the conference this year due to agricultural reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNxFR4U2rc

Re: I'm new here. [Re: TIMBEAL] #32498 08/02/14 12:27 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
I don't know the Ohio area, others may comment. I source logs from the site and local loggers. A portable saw mill will know where to get logs. Does Ohio have any good trees to choose from?

Wranglerstar is a hobbyist. He has some good information, he also makes some outstanding mistakes which he passes along as fact. His joinery decisions are far from traditional. Try this guys stuff out, no advertising, or fancy editing just the dirt. I believe he is a Guild member, but won't be attending the conference this year due to agricultural reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNxFR4U2rc

Thank you for the info. Lumber is a little iffy as there is a blight currently. I am sure there are places to find it I just wouldn't know where to begin.

You should give him (wranglerstar) some feedback if he is in fact putting out bad info I would think he would like to know?

I will check out those videos I always look for as many opinions as possible from many different sources.

Re: I'm new here. [Re: Joseph_dandrea] #32502 08/02/14 03:17 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
I personally have my own WoodMizer sawmill, so I saw my own timbers. There are still a couple of mills in my area that can provide timbers, but they are spread out. You need to buy timbers that meet your criteria. If you find a mill that regularly supplies timber framers, you may be all set. If not, there will have to be an educational period for your mill.

I agree with TIMBEAL about wranglerstar, not always the best info. I recommend Timber Frame Construction, and Build a Classic Timber Framed House, both by Jack Sobon. The first book has plans for a 12'x16' garden shed. Google "sobon shed" for photos. The second book has an 18'x36' hall and parlor colonial.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: I'm new here. [Re: Joseph_dandrea] #32503 08/02/14 03:25 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
What is the agricultural reason, blueberries? smile I love seeing an axe chopping those reductions. I use mine whenever I can. I've also never tried using a slick on a mortise. Looks "slick".

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: I'm new here. [Re: Joseph_dandrea] #32504 08/03/14 12:09 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
You can find red and white oak in PA and Ohio. Hochstettler milling down near loudonville cuts and I think planes some pretty large stuff for timber framers. I did a white oak porch for my parents awhile back - I bought it from a local down that way. Don't remember the mill, smaller operation than Hochstettler but was ok quality wise.

Join the TFG, and start reading back issues of the journal, the Sobon books are good, as well as workshops at heartwood and elsewhere.

Last edited by bmike; 08/03/14 12:11 AM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: I'm new here. [Re: Joseph_dandrea] #32505 08/03/14 12:31 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Wranglerstar has a huge following on utube, this comes with some contention from some viewers. I am simply choosing not to contribute to such activities. I am using utube in a different venue that Wranglerstar.

Dave, yes, blueberries, I need to raise a frame first and am waiting on three 33' logs. I may have to be creative with some local wood and some shorter pieces. I also have a sweet gouge type slick that loves to waste wood in a mortice, great for roughing out.

Re: I'm new here. [Re: Dave Shepard] #32507 08/03/14 12:14 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Dave Shepard
I personally have my own WoodMizer sawmill, so I saw my own timbers. There are still a couple of mills in my area that can provide timbers, but they are spread out. You need to buy timbers that meet your criteria. If you find a mill that regularly supplies timber framers, you may be all set. If not, there will have to be an educational period for your mill.

I agree with TIMBEAL about wranglerstar, not always the best info. I recommend Timber Frame Construction, and Build a Classic Timber Framed House, both by Jack Sobon. The first book has plans for a 12'x16' garden shed. Google "sobon shed" for photos. The second book has an 18'x36' hall and parlor colonial.

Thank you for the book recommendations I will buy them from amazon.

Re: I'm new here. [Re: Joseph_dandrea] #32508 08/03/14 12:43 PM
OP Offline
So if I become a member and say there is some sort of raising or other thing could I just show up over the course of a weekend or is it all or nothing?

Re: I'm new here. [Re: Joseph_dandrea] #32510 08/04/14 02:59 AM
OP Offline
It Looks like Mr Sobon hold classes once a year the Mass. If he has one next year I'll likely go and camp out for the week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users