Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shop drawing in Google Layout #32526 08/09/14 07:43 PM
H
Hylandwoodcraft Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hello All!
We have been using Google sketchup for our timber frame design which has been working well fairly well but there have been some problems. Google Layout seems to be the best way to produce high quality shop drawings from Sketchup. What is the normal sequence to transfer from Skechup to Layout as per dimensioning the drawings. The guy that is doing the drawings seems to have difficulty pulling measurements in Layout. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I do not handle the sketchup directly, but I will pass it on.
Also, there seem to be certain joints the do not want to show up in Sketchup for him. Tongue and fork joints for example. He says that Sketchup does not like angles or curves. He ends up drawing them manually with the line tool which seems to make the shop drawings goofy. I'm sure that there is a proper method for doing this as it is a pretty common joint. Any advice?

Re: Shop drawing in Google Layout [Re: Hylandwoodcraft] #32536 08/12/14 05:41 PM
Windknot Offline
Is he not drawing to full scale in Sketchup? If so, he can simply pull in the Sketchup file in Layout and have accurate dimensions right off the bat.

Sketchup is great with angles and curves. How much experience does he have with it?

Re: Shop drawing in Google Layout [Re: Hylandwoodcraft] #32537 08/12/14 05:46 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
I'm teaching a class at Heartwood in September on LO and bringing in SU.

The TF Ruby joints don't always look 'right' graphically. Just the nature of the beast.

And, a limitation of SU is that the software can only cut 1 face at a time - so a joint that wraps around a corner (like a T+F) will should only be cutting the bottom face of the rafter, assuming you followed Clark's directions.

FWIW, I only use the TF Rubies to teach, and to extract timber lists. Most of my work is done with annotated bent and wall drawings, as most joinery is the similar, with rules for pegs, tenon thicknesses, etc. I note this for others with callouts. I only detail the complex sticks, and when I do that, I just model what is needed.

But - this only works in a shop setting where everyone can understand the overall bent / wall drawings and do layout properly. If you NEED stick drawings for the shop, you'll have to detail each stick.

In which case, I'd use the Rubies and bring each piece into a LO file to dimension.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi, AndyUK, MainiacMatt
5132 Registered Users