Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Adze [Re: bob franzen] #32644 10/12/14 09:24 PM
Will Truax Offline
At one time and for some years I demonstrated traditional skills at events at a number of area museums. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of those demos were the conversations one would end up in, conversations sparked by either what I was doing or a tool I was using...

I no longer remember the gentleman's background, but someone I had such a conversation with insisted the Poll on a "Shipwrights" Adze was about moving pieces being worked, and little else - An obvious example would be flipping over a floor board adzed flush to the chosen common thickness at each joist, flipping over and back to check if the board being worked had reached a level of completion desired without bending over, until ready to kneel down to then nail off - To nail off with a hammer!

I've come to look for such bits of information in such conversation as valuable, and "living memory" as a source for almost lost tid-bits of the once every day - And wrote a bit about that here > http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/living-memory/

Another interesting conversation I had while demonstrating was with a guy who explained he'd been trained to hew as part of an engineers regiment before deployment to the Second. When I asked if he ever put the training to use he said "Well no, if we needed timber to build a quick bridge or some-such, we'd just go pull down the nearest French or German Barn"

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Adze [Re: bob franzen] #32645 10/12/14 11:12 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
That is a reasonable task for the pole. Should it be more pointy? The gutter adze was the tool for removing thickness at joist, if I am not mistaken. The scrub plane of the adze world. I like it, gouge it out, flip it to check fit and flip it again for a little more removal and flip it back for home, and I didn't have to bend over. Working with the late Bill Copperthwaite, he often went to extremes to reduce repetitive steps, like bending over and over and over or climbing up and down a latter too many times. It is places like this that I see the "old timers" shined.

Re: Adze [Re: bob franzen] #32646 10/13/14 10:42 AM
Will Truax Offline
Blunter the better for the pike I would think, no need to emmbed, just to grab the far edge lift & flip.

Ever since that conversation, Ive sorta seen the "lipped" Shipwrights form as intended for this particular task.

In examples we (any of us) have examined, has peening of the poll been commonly found? Is such not there because that tip is sufficiently hardened for driving nails, or is it not there because this was not the intended use?

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Adze [Re: bob franzen] #32648 10/13/14 11:34 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I will give the poles of my adzes a closer look and a test if they are peenable.

Re: Adze [Re: bob franzen] #32649 10/16/14 03:21 AM
B
bob franzen Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks to all. Been out of town so couldn't fire this off as planned,
Do appreciate the information.
bob

Re: Adze [Re: bob franzen] #32650 10/17/14 11:22 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I tested the pole on the end of one of my adzes today, it is soft and would mushroom if use to set nails.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users