Print Thread
Rate Thread
scribing posts to stone #32651 10/18/14 10:35 AM
G
galen Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hello
I have recently cut a small Japanese inspired gazebo frame that I would like to scribe onto stone foundations. The stones are already set in the ground and are too large to move. Unfortunately I have made my life difficult by not scribing the posts before cutting the joinery.
Can anyone think of a way of scribing the posts to the stone whilst still maintaining a constant reference height throughout the frame??

Bite off more than you can chew......then chew like hell.
Re: scribing posts to stone [Re: galen] #32652 10/18/14 11:03 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi Galen,

This will make it a bit more tricky but that is the traditional method in many Asian modalities. They are all very similar (i.e. Chinese, Korean, and Japanese)

Because this forum has limited abilities (imo) with photo linking and the like...may I invite you to Permies.com and post this query in the Timber Frame section where I moderate. I can then make it more elaborate and take you through the action steps required.

Also, feel free to send me a private email.

Regards,

j

examples:

Geureng 그렝이질 fitting post to stone

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E6%A0%B9%E7%9F%B3&rlz=1C1LENP_enUS495US495&es_sm=122&qscrl=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RkdCVMSdC6ri8gGYgoGQCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=643#qscrl=1&tbm=isch&q=%EA%B7%B8%EB%A0%9D%EC%9D%B4%EC%A7%88

Soseki 礎石

https://www.google.com/search?q=%E6%A0%B9%E7%9F%B3&rlz=1C1LENP_enUS495US495&es_sm=122&qscrl=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RkdCVMSdC6ri8gGYgoGQCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=643#qscrl=1&tbm=isch&q=%E7%A4%8E%E7%9F%B3

Re: scribing posts to stone [Re: galen] #32653 10/18/14 11:19 AM
G
galen Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Took me a while to register on the permies site. Must be pretty popular. Almost as bad as registering a gmail account.
Will post there shortly

Re: scribing posts to stone [Re: galen] #32654 10/18/14 12:46 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Glad you joined...I am staff there, so please let me know if I can facilitate more or answer any additional questions.

If you cut and past the links above into google you will see photos of what you request.

This forum does not support Japanese or other Asian Kanji, and one of the many reasons it is so limited...

Re: scribing posts to stone [Re: galen] #32655 10/18/14 03:47 PM
Will B Offline
Thanks for the links Jay.
This blog shows the process pretty well:
http://m.blog.daum.net/moksu080228/7718532.

Establish a datum line on the posts, such as common distance down from plate joinery, and then find initial reference points on stones (such as one corner of post) and shoot elevations to see how far below the datum each of these points are. You'll then need to do a little figuring to establish the scriber settings based on the different elevations of the stones and the varying lengths of posts. Since the joinery is already done, you have one chance to get it right.

The March or June issue of Timber Framing had an article on this technique.

Re: scribing posts to stone [Re: galen] #32656 10/18/14 09:48 PM
G
galen Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks Jay.
I could only get one of your links to work but the pictures there were enough to get me thinking and to answer the question myself. The only challenge now is to put it into practice.
...and thanks Will
Read the article in Timber Framing a while back but don't recall that it detailed setting the reference heights, only the actual scribing process, but I am pretty sure that I will manage now. If I don't and stuff up it will be into the workshop again to make up a couple of nice wrought iron saddles to carry the post. Either way it's good fun learning although I often wish you guys were just up the road rather than on the other side of the world.
Cheers

Re: scribing posts to stone [Re: Will B] #32658 10/18/14 10:20 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi Will,

Yes!!!

"Baekpalbae" (his online name) offers some wonderful insight into this method.

Unfortunately, unless someone has traveled and/or worked/studied extensively in the Minka, Chise, Hanok, and related vernacular folk styles of Asian and the Middle East, they learn quickly that this process can be very challenging to get correct.

I have now been studying and "dabbling" in these many folk vernacular forms for over 30 years and it is forever revealing new insights into what many Westerns call timber framing. Korea, in particular, has a well established and growing trend in programs, schools and individuals that timber frame in the traditional (and very ancient) methods of Eastern Asia...perhaps even better capturing these "folk styles" than Japan has. Though Japan is catching up with getting "grassroots" programs up and running in preserving the folk styles as much as they have the Imperial or Samurai classes of architecture.

Will B., I think you (and other) would really enjoy a trip (though costly) to one of the "Hanok Building Arts Schools." I have visited but yet to attend a full course.

Here are a few more links of friends and contacts that all may enjoy...

Hanok School This is a wonderful group and location for learning. A version of the "Heartwood School" in Korea.

한옥 (Kanji still not working...sorry) are the foundational folk styles of building in Korea, and very much loved there.

This page on Traditional Korean Architecture is also very helpful.

자연석 &am...64;기Which is the method of "jayeonseog juchonohgiwa gidungse-ugi" Drop and building a foundation stone pillar.

Re: scribing posts to stone [Re: galen] #32659 10/19/14 12:41 AM
Will B Offline
I'll check it out.
Koreans always seem to be at or near the top of the World Skills Olympics in carpentry. Probably other things as well.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users