Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Want to build a target [Re: OurBarns1] #20643 07/15/09 10:23 AM
K
kfhines Offline
K
Don,

I think your Idea would work, use 8 x 8 cut offs approximately . 8 to 10 inches long band, glue or peg them together and throw the axe at the end grain. You would end up with a square or rectangular target to paint circles on.

kfhines

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
Victor Hugo
Re: Want to build a target [Re: kfhines] #20648 07/16/09 12:04 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: kfhines
Don,

I think your Idea would work, use 8 x 8 cut offs approximately . 8 to 10 inches long band, glue or peg them together and throw the axe at the end grain. You would end up with a square or rectangular target to paint circles on.

kfhines

You mean kind of like a big butcher block... you know they say that's how block planes got their name: from smoothing end-grain butcher blocks.

The only issue I see w/ a big end grain "glue-up" is you'd probably have to keep it out of the weather. 8x8s would move, shrink, expand and bust each other up.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Want to build a target [Re: brad_bb] #20649 07/16/09 12:08 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: brad_bb
Well, someone sent me this link. Grandfors has this on their site:
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html
Now I have to find a 3'+ diamter chunk, 10" thick or so.

Ourbarns, that is how the target was made that we used at the rendezvous. Some culled cedar 6X6's were glued and screwed with timberlocs with the grain running vertically. It worked just fine, but throught the course of 2 or 3 days, the center of the target was pretty trashed. If you could have easily removed and replaced the center timber, it would be alright. I just could help but hit it in the center each time.....and if you believe that one....

I bet you hit the center!

That's neat to hear the rendezvous used the big laminated cutting board style. I'm guessing a private target made in that manner would hold up much longer.

Have any pictures of the axe throwing?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Want to build a target [Re: OurBarns1] #20652 07/16/09 10:23 AM
K
kfhines Offline
K
"You mean kind of like a big butcher block... you know they say that's how block planes got their name: from smoothing end-grain butcher blocks."

Yah that's it. It's not an ideal target but it would due for awhile. Most of my cut offs are pretty well dried by now so I don't think they would move around to much. As for the end grain soaking up water you need to paint the bulls eye on it any way, that would help.
kfhines

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
Victor Hugo
Re: Want to build a target [Re: kfhines] #20654 07/16/09 12:53 PM
brad_bb Offline OP
OP Offline
On that grandfors link, if you click the axe throwing link, they show all the target and throwing axe dimensions.

I did hit the bullseye a number of times, but not every time for sure. I was too busy having fun and don't have any pics.

Re: Want to build a target [Re: kfhines] #20655 07/16/09 01:36 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: kfhines
"You mean kind of like a big butcher block... you know they say that's how block planes got their name: from smoothing end-grain butcher blocks."

Yah that's it. It's not an ideal target but it would due for awhile. Most of my cut offs are pretty well dried by now so I don't think they would move around to much. As for the end grain soaking up water you need to paint the bulls eye on it any way, that would help.
kfhines

kfhines,

I'd paint/seal both sides...since you've got the material, maybe you can make one up and give us a report on its service?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Want to build a target [Re: OurBarns1] #20662 07/16/09 03:58 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
The built up targets that I've made were done with smaller cookies with a 90 degree corner put on them. Join 4 and you have a sort of cloverleaf shaped target. It seems like a 20" or so log is required to get a good target doing it that way. We toe screwed the 4 quadrants together and then put a piece of ply on the back (1x's would work) and screded through it into the back of each section several times. you could also do that with timber cutoffs.

I wouldn't paint or seal it, though, if it will be in the weather. My experience is that wood lasts much longer in the weather if it can dry out quickly after it gets wet. The paint/sealer only traps moisture, facilitating rot.

Re: Want to build a target [Re: Gabel] #20664 07/16/09 05:30 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
[quote=Gabel The paint/sealer only traps moisture, facilitating rot. [/quote]

Interesting concept. The time spent sealing could have been used throwing the axe.

If you are using a round log for the target leave a knot cluster on the back for structure, face the clear wood to the front.

Tim

Re: Want to build a target [Re: TIMBEAL] #20683 07/18/09 06:09 PM
T
toivo Offline
T
we've got 2 targets in our backyard- both out of a big balm of gilead poplar. one is a 6 foot chunk standing upright. it's propped up also with a stick driven into the ground and notched into the back of the target, though with the weight of it this seems kind of unnecessary. the other one is a section of the same tree with the end grain facing out, propped up in a Y of the same tree again. it's smaller (20" across) and harder to hit. it's easy to line up side to side- its the up and down that's more challenging, especially as you change distances from full revolution to 1 1/2.

the upright poplar is definitely getting chopped away at, but when it's gone there is more to the tree left.

be sure there are no rocks behind the target! just in case you happen to miss.

my parents had a fancy axe range- with a kind of gallows log structure that supported a hanging log. that was the party game back then.

oh and for accuracy and sheer dandyism- a daisy stuck in the target makes for a greater challenge. it's like shooting at a big moose- you're more likely to hit what you want if you aim small.

Re: Want to build a target [Re: brad_bb] #32845 03/10/15 08:06 PM
aastaronline Offline
ive always just used the base of my tree stumps.. we chop them into 10 inch think slabs then fasten them to the side of the barn or lean them on haystacks

ya like dags?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users