Print Thread
Rate Thread
Using Juniper Timbers? #32844 03/10/15 02:58 PM
P
PPellissier Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi All,
I am new to this forum so forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask. A client of mine wants me to build his frame using juniper. I did a little research and saw that this has been done before, but I am a little hesitant to commit not knowing the its structural properties and how it works compare to other species. Does anyone have experience working with juniper?

Thanks,
Paul

Using Juniper Timbers? #32846 03/11/15 12:04 AM
P
PPellissier Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi All,
I am new to this forum so forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask. A client of mine wants me to build his frame using juniper. I did a little research and saw that this has been done before, but I am a little hesitant to commit not knowing the its structural properties and how it works compare to other species (thinking about sap, shrinkage, and knots). Does anyone have experience working with juniper? Likes or dislikes?

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Using Juniper Timbers? [Re: PPellissier] #32848 03/11/15 02:06 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
The only juniper that I know of locally that grows to a usable size is Eastern Red Cedar. I have found ERC in local old buildings and it has performed well, however for modern design purposes, I am not aware of authoritative design values for ERC. You may have difficulty finding a PE that will approve an ERC frame. Good luck finding help.

Re: Using Juniper Timbers? [Re: PPellissier] #32849 03/11/15 02:22 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
I second Roger's comments, but believe the fellows at Fire Tower Engineers would be more than happy to tackle this. If I may also suggest, in this case particularly, an Asian modality is advantages over other timber framing styles. Working in the round and live edge...such as Minka...would fit well with the characteristics of Juniper...Ben and his gang at FTE are familiar with Asian and other non-european vernacular modalities of timber frame designs as well, and one of the reasons I have always recommended them, should you feel the need. I have used juniper in a few projects over the years and find it gnarled character charming.

Re: Using Juniper Timbers? [Re: Jay White Cloud] #32851 03/11/15 01:30 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
A friend of mine used ERC in a small oriental frame, he prepared the raw stems by pulling the bark off the log leaving no tool marks. The remaining sinewy surface texture in the logs was amazing. I, unfortunately, find ERC dust an airway and lung irritant and the prolonged breathing of the aerosols alone unpleasant.

Re: Using Juniper Timbers? [Re: PPellissier] #33061 07/19/15 01:57 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
My brother happens to be a producer of western juniper lumber in Oregon. Generally western juniper is a fast tapering, very knotty tree so I think the issues you would have are getting long timbers and dealing with the knots. He does not recommend using juniper for timber framing. http://www.junipersawmill.com/

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users