Print Thread
Rate Thread
looking for timber frames in Paris, France #32978 05/27/15 09:18 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey there,
I'm travelling to Paris soon, and am wondering if there are timber frames you can visit in that city?
Google is not giving me much information, so I thought of you people.
thanks in advance if you know of something

Re: looking for timber frames in Paris, France [Re: Mark Davidson] #32979 05/28/15 01:42 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
I'd ask Will Beemer, who may be in Italy right now.

Re: looking for timber frames in Paris, France [Re: Mark Davidson] #32983 06/01/15 06:35 PM
J
Jon Senior Offline
J
No longer in Paris, but I don't recall there being an awful lot... at least that you can visit. You might be able to negotiate access to the roof framing of various of the churches / cathedrales (Notre Dame would be superb to visit), but I don't know if you'll have much success if you don't have contacts... and sadly I don't have the necessary contacts.

If you're around for long enough to jump on a train, visit Rouen. It's about 1hr from Paris and you can wander around a more or less entirely half-timbered city centre. Or visit Beauvais (about the same distance, but I'm not sure if there's a train service... there's definitely a bus to link the airport to Paris). The old Palais (now a museum) has some very pretty roof framing (I have some photos kicking around somewhere), and the Maladrerie has some more. Paris itself was largely rebuilt by Hausmann and is principly stone. The roofs are all Mansart and probably interesting to visit if you can get access to them.

Re: looking for timber frames in Paris, France [Re: Mark Davidson] #32984 06/02/15 01:53 PM
D Wagstaff Offline
Maybe Jon Senior can remember the name of the old woodworking neighborhood somewhere just outside the touristic center of Pairs. It's now all renovated and turned into something else but its great to wander back into the old courtyards where the workshops used to be and around these buildings off the street front and imagine. It's similar to what little does still remain in Rouen, but yes, no timber frames.

Re: looking for timber frames in Paris, France [Re: Mark Davidson] #33029 06/14/15 07:25 PM
J
Jon Senior Offline
J
Sadly, while in Paris I wasn't so clued up on carpentry as I am now. I don't know the area that Don is referring to, but the obvious place to visit (that I completely forgot) is the Musée des Compagnons de Devoir (http://paris.compagnonsdutourdefrance.org/article/musee_et_expos). I don't think you'll find a more impressive set of carpentry models anywhere... certainly not in one place.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users