Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Squaring Timbers With Jointer [Re: Roger Nair] #33295 11/25/15 02:40 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Great Rules!!!...and should be not only in the box with the planer, but repeated over and over again while engaged operating the tool...

Boy Roger...That description seems to happen to many of us that use those size "power hand planers." I am so glad it didn't "get flesh and bone" and only killed an apron. Chainsaw chaps (that fit well) aren't even a bad idea with operating these hand power planers.

I warn and warn folks that the "spin-down" (or wind-down) is when it will "get you" 90% of the time...NOT...while it is in play on the beam.

For the sake of this post (and warning that it happens to the best of us) I share the following two (of many unfortunately) accounts...

About 25 years ago a young Timberwright I had been guiding along on building his house and other projects was using a 6" big jointer (it too was a Grizzly.) For whatever reason (nobody still understands how exactly??) the 6x6, near the end of the timber jumped out of the way and my poor friend "jointed" his little finger and damaged his wrist bones. I have been told since, this is a common injury with jointers as is "pull ins" with loose garments.

This next account is two fold...first a young Timberwright...then, two weeks later a very stupid and dimwitted older one (me!) Did the exact same thing with the exact same tool. Using a Festool rabbiting power planer, our "middle finger" of the left hand got "rolled under" the spinning blade on the "rabbiting drum face" and the finger pulled it...YES...there is visible red mist in the air when this happens!!!! Fortunately we have both got to keep our finger but they resemble more what you find on a "tree frog" than a human.

I have had all manner of little nicks and scrapes...We all have those doing this type of work. Only the bloody freaking power planners have ever really "gotten me" off guard!! They are just that horridly dangerous and I rank them higher than chainsaws, old table saws, or routers in my book.

Good luck to all that own and use them!

Re: Squaring Timbers With Jointer [Re: Jay White Cloud] #33296 11/26/15 02:45 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I think the central problem with power tools is once an operator gets comfortable, accurate and proficient, the next drive is toward speedy use, of which I AM GUILTY. Picking up and walking with an unguarded tool with spinning blades is unreasonably risky, what you loose cannot be sewn back. Inspire coworkers with deft use, while remaining safe.

Re: Squaring Timbers With Jointer [Re: Joe Wood] #33297 11/26/15 02:50 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
100% spot on! I couldn't agree more!!

Re: Squaring Timbers With Jointer [Re: Joe Wood] #33298 11/26/15 02:33 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
A former employer of mine was saved serious harm from a circ saw whose guard didn't come down by the tape measure in his coat pocket. The new, and very expensive, wool coat was a total loss by the time we'd cut it out of the saw. He would have been cut deeply right across his upper thigh. I always try to look to see that the guard is down now. I've seen circ saws take off across the floor, too.

Last edited by Dave Shepard; 11/26/15 02:33 PM.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Squaring Timbers With Jointer [Re: Joe Wood] #33299 11/27/15 02:18 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Here is a short saw safety video I have made:

http://youtu.be/z6aFiNO7QEw

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker