Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ideal Enclosure criteria [Re: Hylandwoodcraft] #33618 03/25/16 04:14 AM
D L Bahler Offline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1444&v=ErGQ0rXkn74

This video was shared over at the forestry forum some time ago. I've followed this project since it began, I know Jakob and we have has some correspondence. Our relationship was born of our similar interests -first axes and later carpentry. He's a brilliant carpenter, as this video illustrates.

Anyway, on the topic of effective enclosure system, this video demonstrates something along the lines of how I'd like to eventually be able to build homes. I am especially in love with the sort of design where there is a wood infill and a portion of the structure protrudes into the living space, but only 1 or 2 inches. This is attractive, and not nearly so intrusive as having the entire timber frame inside of a curtain wall. I fell in love with this concept years ago in Switzerland.

I find his procedure of wrapping the entire structure in a natural insulating envelope to be particularly interesting. It's almost the opposite approach to how I would approach a log or log infill building style, but I can hardly argue with his results.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Ideal Enclosure criteria [Re: Hylandwoodcraft] #34365 02/18/18 08:39 PM
H
Hylandwoodcraft Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Well, it's been a couple of years since I started this thread and, at long last, I can finally say that I have gotten away from foam and OSB entirely! I am just in the process of finishing up my first Roxul / "Larsen Truss" style enclosure. I'm very pleased overall, although there are a few tweaks to the wall system going forward to make it more time/material efficient.
Many thanks are owed to Jay for inspiration and encouragement and Ben at Fire Tower for his insights.

Pictures and details to follow, as I have time...

Re: Ideal Enclosure criteria [Re: Hylandwoodcraft] #34380 03/06/18 03:20 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi Sean,

I just saw this...Congrats!!!

I will drop you an email. I'm in the Albany area and would love to catch up on things...

Regards,

j

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users