Print Thread
Rate Thread
UK Tour Ideas #33658 04/27/16 12:05 AM
G
GandCoTF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Folks of the Forum,

I'm heading to England in early July (4th to 9th) for vacation, and have a number of amazing frames on my itinerary, but I'm always interested in more ideas. Here's what I have in mind:

London:
- Shakespeare's Globe Theatre
- Harmondsworth Barn (15 mins from Heathrow airport)

West of London:
- Salisbury Cathedral tower and roof framing
- Stonehenge (not timber, but still cool!)
- Great Coxwell Barn
- Bradford on Avon Tithe Barn
- Carpenter Oak & Woodland - TF company in Chippenham

Northeast of London:
- Coggeshall Grange Barn
- Cressing Temple

I'd love to hear other ideas of what else I might want to consider (other TF companies…?) and am open to any and all suggestions (non TF…?).

Thanks!

Mark Gillis
Gillis & Company Timber Frames

Re: UK Tour Ideas [Re: GandCoTF] #33659 04/28/16 01:03 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
Just London, or you heading out of the big city? I loved York. My general strategy at various cathedrals was to ask where the 'Works' department is. I'd wander in, meet the various masons and other workers, and one would inevitably offer to take me on a private tour of various roofs.

Re: UK Tour Ideas [Re: GandCoTF] #33660 04/28/16 01:57 PM
Will B Offline
Weald and Downland Open Air Museum.
There's lots along the Welsh border: Leigh Court, Stokesay castle are both great crucks.
The Black and White Trail out of Herefordshire.
Tim Crump's shop (Bill Keir is there).
Ely, Lincoln and Wells Cathedrals.
York is great.
But I would caution that it's not inevitable that someone will guide you up in the various roofs. I've found it's better to contact the works department or chapter house (for cathedrals) ahead of time, say you're a timber engineer, and set up an appointment. You may be asked for a donation, but it's usually no problem to get an appointment and guide if you're a professional builder or architect.
When we went to York Cathedral we were guided by the head mason named Mason who was the third generation working at the cathedral. By the time they finished one circuit around the building it was time to start around again.

Re: UK Tour Ideas [Re: GandCoTF] #33667 05/02/16 03:13 PM
G
GandCoTF Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Will and Brad,

Thanks for the suggestions. My plan is to head west of London right away, and spend four days looking at buildings while my wife attends a conference. Together, we'll be spending a day in Peterborough (north of London) and one full day in London.

Lots to see; too little time!

Mark

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users