Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sealing Scribed End Grain On Posts #33784 07/09/16 02:15 PM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
I have 4 clear cedar 6x6 posts that we'll be scribing onto stones. I've stained / sealed everything with Penofin before assembly of the structure. But I'm wondering what a good product would be to seal that end grain?

I sometimes use Ipe Seal on other cut ends https://www.deckwise.com/ipe-seal-end-grain-sealant.html but it seems like either of those products could leach down onto the stone?

anyone found a good product to use in this situation??

Re: Sealing Scribed End Grain On Posts [Re: Joe Wood] #33790 07/10/16 03:05 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi Joe,

I assume this is some form of Cypress or Juniper actually as we do not have any true species of Cedar (Cedrus sp) here in North America...We call them cedars for some reason?? but those are actually only found in the Mediterranean to South Asian subcontinent region...So...you got a good species...either way...

After years of using this technique for scribing post to "live edge" stone plinth...I still don't see any improvement on traditional methods. As such, most "Hinoki" (aka what we call cedars) is left in its "raw" condition and seldom are they treated with anything...

"Treating" wood for below grade, ground contact or in this case "stone contact," is often more re-inventing of wheels by Westerners and/or "I think" concepts...Most paints, and modern oils trap moisture more than protect in many circumstances and cause more harm than any good.

When we do "finish wood" it is with a traditional blend of oils and rosins....For a fast "darkening" treatment that is "tried and true" we use a blend of flax and Pine Tar oils... with a citrus cutter/penetrator. Otherwise we use a blend of flax, tung, beeswax, pine rosine and a citrus oil cutter/penetrator...which can be purchase from Heritage Finishes.

A "Yakesugi" treatment may sometimes be employed on less rot resistant species like White Pine...of which we are doing on a large pavilion now...This is only applied to the very concave undercut portion of the post bottom that does not show...unless...this wood treatment method is being applied to all the post surface.

Sometimes an additional cob, lime or cob/lime mixture (sometimes cut with sodium borate/copper sulfate) is used to distribute load under an overly undercut post, which creates a better stone to post contact...DO NOT USE MODERN CONCRETES...A fine wash of Copper sulfate and/or sodium borate may also be applied to the char of the yakesugi light char.

All in all, with most project and applicable species...nothing is require...Some of these have lasted centuries if they are at least 250 mm (~10") above grade. Hope this was helpful...

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 07/10/16 03:13 PM.
Re: Sealing Scribed End Grain On Posts [Re: Joe Wood] #33807 07/14/16 06:43 PM
Joe Wood Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks again for the great Info Jay, we decided to not seal with anything. These are western red cedar.

Re: Sealing Scribed End Grain On Posts [Re: Joe Wood] #33808 07/15/16 12:48 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
That should be fine for such a species...Good luck!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users