Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Cherry #33812 07/15/16 04:32 AM
T
TGray Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello, any opinions on using wild cherry for a pavilion, about 20 x 40? I have a lot that would make good logs, but not sure if they would be appropriate.

Thank You,
Tracy

Re: Wild Cherry [Re: TGray] #33816 07/15/16 02:26 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello T. Gray,

Yes, historically and today cherry is used fairly commonly if of sound longs. I have seen and/or restored many frames that are almost exclusively cherry, and seen several modern builds that are as well. It is a good species for timber framing in general but can (and often does) have issues with "checking and splitting." This is a natural reaction within the species of wood and only of a concern aesthetically and (in rare occasions) structurally, it the check bifurcates the entire length of a timber.

Note, that the method of "pre-checking" the timbers with a "kerf" sawn into the center of the timber called Se-wari - “spine divide” or “back split” method of relieving stress in timber by kerfing top of member…is very useful and applicable for this species. We like cherry in "live edge" with only the sides of the timber flattened and using "Sewari" to arrest all checking. These timbers present as not only stronger in application, yet further add a natural beauty to a frame...

Good Luck with your project!

Re: Wild Cherry [Re: TGray] #33817 07/15/16 03:37 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
We should probably be a little more specific about what cherry you have. I've used a lot of black cherry in frames, as we have a lot around these parts. But if it's pin cherry or what you're calling wild cherry, I'm not sure. Do they get big enough to cut a timber out of?

Re: Wild Cherry [Re: TGray] #33818 07/15/16 03:56 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Good point...

What I can add is that "all cherry" species within the Genera of "Prunus"...when they grow large enough to yield bolts and cants from their trunks...are all...adequate to excellent...for timber framing...

Re: Wild Cherry [Re: TGray] #33821 07/16/16 03:16 AM
T
TGray Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you gents for the quick responses, I believe I have black cherry, prunus serotina. We are in Va. I thought I had read somewhere that that the lumber was not very insect resistant, so I was not sure if it would be appropriate for a pavilion. We have way more than what I would need and ranging from 12 inches to 20 inches. A few up to 24" and larger.

Re: Wild Cherry [Re: TGray] #33822 07/16/16 05:08 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Many of the Prunus species are susceptible to attack from a variety of specific Coleoptera genera that infest fresh and dry wood...This is true.

Nevertheless, with some simple precautions and/or treatments...this is not a major reason to forgo this wood species in timber frames, as the historic record supports.

This species is not appropriate for direct ground contact or very damp areas, nor are many other species of wood that are still considered excellent for timber framing...

If the wood is keep at least 500 mm off of a finished grade (especially for an open pavilion) and the structure has adequate roof eave overhangs (minimum 600mm)...and the wood is "oil treated" insect infestation can be keep to a minimum and/or arrested completely...Also, log and wood storage/pre treatment is also critical, as they will be infested rapidly once felled. Keep dry, get the bark off or logs milled as rapidly as possible with as little "sapwood" as can be achieved while still yielding usable Cants for your timbers.

Regards,

j

Re: Wild Cherry [Re: TGray] #33825 07/16/16 02:00 PM
H
Hylandwoodcraft Offline
H
I was under the impression that Cherry (heartwood) was decent in regards to rot resistance. Not to say that it's comparable to Black Locust by any means, but that it's moderately rot resistant, maybe on par with Doug fir? This seems borne out by my experience.

Re: Wild Cherry [Re: TGray] #33828 07/16/16 03:05 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
There is the paradox...and another of the many mysteries...of our craft and woodworking in general...

It is also why I do love it so...

At best (most often) we can only run with generalities, yet there are exception to most "rules of thumb"...and..."some cherry"...from some regions...are not only resistant they are dang near rot proof for some reason, or at least a lot more than many of their kind...It could be the age...It could be the silica content...the soils...or something else or all??

Take the "Loyalsock Trail Region" of Pennsylvania...It has some the finest cherry stand in the country if not world...There are section there where its like walking through a forest of giant Tulip Poplar (which is there and mixed in) but Black Cherry is the dominate species and it is mainly "tall and huge!"...some are "poker straight" with no limbe for 60' and over 2' diameter for most of it...Just magnificent specimen...They are also very rot resistant? While others from other regions will go bad faster than white pine...??

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 07/16/16 03:07 PM.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users