Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Granberg 555b Mini Mill [Re: OakHeart] #33690 05/26/16 02:44 AM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Originally Posted By: OakHeart
Jim-
I'll be milling Rock Oak, and using a Stihl MS650 saw, thanks for the reply and advise. BTW- you have some great YouTube videos, safety first and efficientcy. No chance I could get you to do one on chainsaw milling?

timberwrestler-
I'm sure it would be, but a good axe is hard to find.

A tree service friend of mine just got a chain saw mill, but it's missing the end handle. He's suppose to get it and then we're going to try it. I will take some videos if we do.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Granberg 555b Mini Mill [Re: OakHeart] #34060 10/21/16 12:38 PM
S
SDB777 Offline
S
Woohoo! Something I actually know about!

Alright, the G#555b is basically not what you are going to need for milling logs into beams, unless you already have a Granberg MK-III(or even the II) or the base model G#777

The G#555b is primarily used for taking the edges off of a 'flitch/slab'. There is no way that I know of to attach the metal track and get clean, flat, consistent rips with a chainsaw down a log.

Take a look at this for the basic model: >>>>> Basic G#777 mini mill <<<<<

Better model: >>>>> Better mill G-Mk-II <<<<<

I own and use a Granberg MK-II 36" set-up. It will produce very nice, flat, straight cuts !IF! it is set-up correctly for the first pass. With a cut as long as you are requiring, be sure to make every possible attempt to make the 'guide' straight and flat(remember the weight of the saw will be riding on it also....and if you lean onto the guide it has to absorb that as well.)

I own and use a Granberg #555b and #777.
These are very light and portable, and I don't use them as much. Both have their places in milling. Both a high on the required labor/effort side of things. Both are better then a gym membership for getting into shape!

I own and use a WoodMizer LT-28....why? Because chainsaw milling is HARD, time consuming and produces a LOT of waste. Every two cuts with a chainsaw mill using 3/8ths ripping chain leaves a 3/4 board laying on the ground in dust. It's also important to say that the one single cut you'll be making in a log with a chainsaw is the same amount of time I'll spend cutting the entire log into dimensional 'stuff'(maybe even less if the log is 34" diameter and 16ft long)
Can I make a 35ft long cut on the WoodMizer? No, not without a LOT of weird labor and 'rigging'. Then again, I couldn't possibly dream of moving a 35' 10x10 beam either
Can I take the WoodMizer LT-28 to a log in the woods? Yes, well within reason....it is portable but it is not a goat. A nice path through the timber would be required.

Panther also makes a chainsaw mill attachment, as I have no experience with it....I will not say anything more then that. I have seen his milling set-ups on YouTube...
I'm sure there is at least 100 YouTube videos showing 'homemade' milling rigs that are worth looking into, but I'm not a metal working kind of fella and I don't know what I would be looking at to build one.

Good luck! Love to see photo's if you make any with the #555b on a log that size

Scott (punish me not please) B

user does not have permission to post topics
BYE
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users