Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Timber Framed Cider Press #34125 02/28/17 08:49 PM
Stuart Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello peoples I've been absent for a while but now I'm back and finally getting my Cider Press under way.

Couldn't remember my password and when I asked for a new one I got a temp for this login ie "Weaver". Turns out I was using another handle "Stuart" where I talked about the press project.

Any this will do.

So my tool set has expanded, I now have timber and I'm hoping to have the press ready to go in the next four weeks.

The first video in the series is here:

Timber Frame Press Part 1: Moving the timbers Short Version

But for you guys this one will probably be more interesting.

Timber Frame Press Part 2: Showing off the tools Short Version

If you are interested there is more info on the tools in the long version of this video.

Today I start work on laying out the first timbers.

Re: Timber Framed Cider Press [Re: Stuart] #34127 02/28/17 09:23 PM
C
Cecile en Don Wa Offline
C
Yes Stuart, I've seen your latest video, (you know I have a similar plan for expanding my home cidermaking). Did you (your daughter I mean) do filming while you were going at the timbers, getting them in shape? A tool I didn't notice in your collection is a bandhacke, and I mean the true classic one, very narrow, long & thin bladed and, crucially- as a nice addition - nibbed, (single or double). By no means necessary but it seems it would go well with your set, at least the European part.

Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 02/28/17 09:31 PM.
Re: Timber Framed Cider Press [Re: Stuart] #34128 02/28/17 10:12 PM
D L Bahler Offline
There is a very old cider press in a town about 45 minutes from me built by a Swiss Immigrant in the mid 1800s. The press beam is a single white oak timber 30 feet in length, 30 inches square.
How the man managed to move this timber and build the press by himself is a mystery.

THe press also features two hand carved wooden screws. It only uses one for lowering and raising the press, the other ha made as a backup in case the first one should break, The second screw has never seen a day of use. The people who operate it now continue the custom of heavily greasing all the moving parts with lard every time they use it. That's kept the machine working fine for over 150 years with no major repairs.

The press itself is modeled after old wine presses used in Switzerland. The legend is that he had to figure out how to transfer the design of much smaller wine presses into such a large design, however I don't believe this story as I have seen the presses in Switzerland that are just as large.

Last edited by D L Bahler; 02/28/17 10:12 PM.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users