Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34135 - 03/21/17 11:57 AM what is a good way to span 32'?
than2man Offline

Hello. I am in the process of designing a timber frame shop with a house above. I am wanting the shop to have as much open space as possible with as little posts as possible. I would like to have a min. 32' clear span but am wondering how to do this. I know I need to consult an engineer which I will, but would like to see if anyone has any good ideas. Am I pretty much limited to truss floor joist or tji...?
Thank you for your time,

Nathanael

#34136 - 03/23/17 08:25 PM Re: what is a good way to span 32'? [Re: than2man]
Roger Nair Offline

Loc: Bakerton, WV, USA
A clear span roof system is very possible but a clear span supporting a house above is a difficult problem, with a number of paths forward but I will not offer any suggestions other than you need experienced design services both engineering and architecture. Good luck and take care.

#34137 - 03/24/17 07:40 AM Re: what is a good way to span 32'? [Re: than2man]
TIMBEAL Offline

Loc: Maine
Rethink the shop and at least allow a center post under the bents. Or have the engineering department design a King on the upper level. Wall incorporated into the roof truss. As Roger points to engineering and architecture.

What kind of shop that requires clear span? Keep house and shop on the ground floor? Keep it simple.

Moderator:  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 
Newest Members
Mullerj7, Antleo, Lucas, kamposs, braol
4764 Registered Users