Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: seasoned sitka spruce [Re: DFLICK] #34190 05/05/17 09:24 AM
C
Cecile en Don Wa Offline
C
Using dry wood is inappropriate? What a laughable statement, especially in the context of the rest of the text, but I'll be sure and pass it and the source on to my acquaintance down in Bordeaux whose got a yard full of blackened oak timbers old as the hills and who never would think to complain about using them or fresh wood. Dry or otherwise, it's just different not better or worse, that's all.

Still no clarity on what's even being discussed. What is fresh or seasoned wood?

Re: seasoned sitka spruce [Re: Cecile en Don Wa] #34193 05/05/17 12:42 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Quote:
Still no clarity on what's even being discussed. What is fresh or seasoned wood?

I might have missed something...But I think the OP ask if (paraphrasing here) if:

dry wood is worth paying more for than fresh timber to cut a frame...

My view it is not at all worth more money for dry wood, and as Josh pointed out, there are many other questions to ask about that wood, which I do most certainly agree with.

If there is more "clarity" needed, perhaps it's in having those questions answered that Josh shared...I can see that, but only to a point.

Quote:
Dry or otherwise, it's just different not better or worse, that's all.

That is a perspective, and every Timberwright I have worked with would never choose a dry timber over green if they had a choice, it would seem some here feel otherwise, and that is fine.

As to "better or worse" I think the PE I have worked with for 30 years plus would say there are some huge differences...both good and bad...between dry and green timbers.

Then again, we are on a spectrum of experiences, understanding, and valuation here in this portion of the discussion. If someone like beating the living hell out of themselves and their tools working dry timber, go for it, as in that regard you can still get great joinery and beautiful frames...I know, we are doing right now...but she is a gnarly beast to get to compared to unseasoned timbers...

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 05/05/17 12:43 PM.
Re: seasoned sitka spruce [Re: DFLICK] #34194 05/05/17 01:31 PM
C
Cecile en Don Wa Offline
C
Does your PE think peaches are better than pears too?

What a bunch of reflexive contradictions!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users