Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34318 - 01/11/18 02:20 PM Cruck Framing Textbooks
Ussabin Offline

I've searched the internet and here but have so far had no luck in finding a textbook on Cruck Framing. I'm looking for something that discusses designs and construction techniques as opposed to historical surveys.

Does anyone here know of textbooks that cover these topics?

#34319 - 01/11/18 04:12 PM Re: Cruck Framing Textbooks [Re: Ussabin]
Jay White Cloud Online   content

Loc: Vermont
Hello,

That is a tough one, and perhaps someone here will have an example to offer that I don't?

I personally have never seen or read what I believe you are asking for? As you have learned there are a number of learned papers, and related text on Cruck Frames from an historical or general subject consideration.

As for a dedicated tome outlining "step by step" building instructions with drawings and design schematics, that does not exists outside private facilitation syllabus, as far as I know.

I have (floating around here someplace...??...ha, ha) notes on different examples, observations of the frames I have seen, and a project/workshop syllabus with drawings I have created. Yet again, this is aimed at professional facilitation of a class/workshop and not a public document.

On that topic, there are a number of workshops/classes that cover this subject, both here and in the U.K. The Heartwod School has offered one in the past workshops on this subject, and may again in the future. I believe Steve Chappell's Program at Fox Maple has offered one as well...I think?

Beyond that, hiring someone to design and support your project with technical guidance, and blueprints would/could be the only other effective way for a beginner to approach such a project?

Good Luck,

j

#34320 - 01/11/18 07:40 PM Re: Cruck Framing Textbooks [Re: Ussabin]
Dave Shepard Offline

Loc: Alford, MA
Heartwood is offering Cruck again this spring. I've taken it twice. Might take it again someday.

Cruck Buildings by B. Bunker is the only book I know of, but its a survey type thing.

#34321 - 01/12/18 07:39 AM Re: Cruck Framing Textbooks [Re: Ussabin]
Will B Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Nat Alcock's "Crucks in England and Wales" or "Catalogue of Cruck Buildings" are good sources; again mostly a survey but it shows a myriad of cruck types with excellent drawings. Might take some hunting to find it. For layout technique, there's been a article or two in the UK Fellowship's "Mortice and Tenon" magazine, one good one by Henry Russell in Issue #6. I think you can buy back issues from the UKCF website, or a compendium of all the back issues.
If you know how to scribe then there's no special tricks to layout once you've matched the curve of the cruck to the apex type and the spurs and tie beams that support the plates and purlins. These arrangements are shown in Alcock and Russell.
Yes we are having another cruck course April 30-May 4 with Jack Sobon and Neil Godden. Details here Cruck Framing.

Edited by Will B (01/12/18 07:40 AM)

#34331 - 01/15/18 02:22 PM Re: Cruck Framing Textbooks [Re: Jay White Cloud]
Ussabin Offline

Thanks, Jay. I plan to attend the Heartwood class this spring; but, a good textbook in the meantime would be very helpful!

#34332 - 01/15/18 02:29 PM Re: Cruck Framing Textbooks [Re: Will B]
Ussabin Offline

Hi Will, Thanks for the pointers. I have a pdf version of Alcock's, "Cruck construction: An introduction and Catalogue." Though mostly a survey, it does contain a few details on how crucks were historically built and raised.

Also, I do plan on attending the Heartwood class. I'm look forward to it eagerly.

#34334 - 01/16/18 07:37 AM Re: Cruck Framing Textbooks [Re: Ussabin]
Will B Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Great! You'll get some good handouts on cruck layout in the class, drawn by Jack Sobon.

Moderator:  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 
Newest Members
HemlockFrame, 6147, MarkHohn, Casey_Hutson, tburch
4833 Registered Users