Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Joint cutting - Process [Re: Jon Senior] #34580 10/15/18 11:04 AM
J
Jon Senior Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Wow. So that opened a can of worms!

@Jay. Blow out on the inside cheeks is a given (construction grade pine), but not an issue as they are easily cleaned up. The issue is really just the peg hole alignment. And I have no evidence for the historical basis of this order, it's largely based on a "modern" workflow with a chain mortiser.

@Don. It's not a deviation from "normal" teaching in as much as in all of the companies that I ever worked, and every carpenter I've met respects this order. That's not to say that it's historically accurate, but it is now universal.

French carpentry is largely commercial. That is to say that it's not wholey timber framed residential properties, but more frequently, putting a simple roof structure onto the freshly erected blockwork walls of small house. The difference between a charpente traditionnelle (large timber with frames several metres apart and common rafters) and a charpente industrielle (nailed trusses from small section timber spaced every 40-60cm) often comes down to budget and taste. When we're called upon to frame a roof the expectation is that it'll be up within a month or so of the completed walls (if not sooner). In this market, pre-drilled peg holes do not have time to shrink significantly.

Also this work order allows us to effectively leave the tools at home when erecting.

Re: Joint cutting - Process [Re: Jon Senior] #34581 10/16/18 12:13 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Thanks for that post Jon...I love learning new perspectives and seeing what and how others are approaching the craft...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users