Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: OurBarns1] #24705 11/03/10 06:16 PM
L
Ledyardsawmill Offline
L
You mentioned that Schreibner's mill was one of two sash saws in US. There are many more than that. Check out the links at the Ledyard Sawmill (in CT) site at

http://sites.google.com/site/ledyardsawmill/

You will also find a detailed description of the operating water powered Ledyard Up and Down sawmill with videos and technical details, links to 19th century books on up and down sawmills, and other information.

Ledyard Sawmill's Old Woody

Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill #25843 03/08/11 07:00 PM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Here is another excellent video of an up-and-down sawmill driven by an overshot water wheel. How's your Norwegian!

My browser had to download a small add-on to run this but it was flawless with broadband service.

http://www.steinkjer-kommune.net/eggevandring/egge/index.php?meny=23

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill #25844 03/08/11 07:27 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Thanks for posting this...

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: OurBarns1] #34608 12/10/18 05:48 PM
W
Ward Offline
W
Hello,
I am new to this forum, and am looking for some help identifying a part we found at the site of an old up-down sawmill from the period 1860-1880. It has a wider tooth like part, and grouved around 2 sides, plus there is a half round notch which makes it look like it fits into a larger device. We have speculated that it might be a part of the log sled? I have tried the file manager to attach three pictures. Hope it works.

If there is a more appropriate place to ask my question I would appreciate any tips you might have to offer.

I live on Vancouver Island in British Columbia.

Thanks for any help,
Jim...

Attached Files
Sayward Mill Artifact view 1.JPG (75.95 KB, 393 downloads)
Sayward Mill Artifact view 2.JPG (63.57 KB, 311 downloads)
Sayward Mill Artifact view 3.JPG (58.86 KB, 295 downloads)
Re: Old Sash-Saw Mill [Re: OurBarns1] #34609 12/13/18 02:26 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hello Ward

Well I just run across your thread and the pictures of your artifact, this is my take------

It looks very much like an insertable tooth in a large saw blade, no doubt used by some later machinery at the saw mill site

To my knowledge the early vertical blades of the 1860 period did not have insertable teeth, but having said that one never knows for sure

The v--grooves no doubt held the tooth in place, and if damaged could be quickly replaced moving the production of the mill ahead as soon as possible

Replacable teeth in modern blades, are usually circular shaped and rotated into their seat using grooves similar to what I see on this artifact using the force of the cutting action to keep them secure and in position

I suspect it is an early try at the use of replacable teeth in an early blade, not a band blade but a flat blade which may have been quite long and heavy used uniquely for very large logs in that area

I hope this helps it is my best guess

Richard Casselman
The Northern Hewer

Oh yes--- before I leave, I did enjoy reading the early posts about saw marks which started this thread, and my name mentioned in connection with their identification---- well I had no problem identifying their difference because we sawed 20000 bd ft yearly at Upper Canada Village using an authentic water powered Muley saw MIll that used one vertical blade, this I did for 27 years, and this is the telltale marks--The blade is canted ahead at the upper end, the reason being to clear the cut on the up stroke,clear the saw dust, and let the log move ahead
before the down cut

This lead to a unmistaken forward markings of the sawing action, also the teeth on the blade itself are 2" long and spaced at 2.25" intervals, leaving a fairly rough cut compared to a band saw's smoother cut and exactly vertical markings.

water powered mills did have and did use sash saws with tensioned blades of thinner and finer steel, but here in this part of north America (Ontario Canada)the Mulley blade
predominated.

I know a sash saw mill operated in New Brunswick at King's Landing, that was powered by a slow rotating water wheel, the speed increased with gearing that vibrated the mill structure as it strained against the forces generated by the cutting

It sure has been great talking to you and once again

fairwell

NH

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users