Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TFG Forum Use #34661 06/02/19 09:58 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It's been a while since I dropped bye here (lapsed member) and I am somewhat dismayed at how the general use of the forum has declined over the years. Why is this ?

Has Twitter / Facebook taken over this role or does everyone now know all of the answers ?

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: TFG Forum Use [Re: Ken Hume] #34662 06/02/19 12:01 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Good Morning Ken,

"...Why is this?..."

That is a very good question, to be sure. I think many of us have noticed it, and each of us probably have our suspicions for why with a percentage of each being very accurate toward this rational. I think you have named two very large ones (et al) as well as competition for other "internet activities" that take (and waste?) time. I for one have a very limited access to "wifi" and keep most major posts to only Weekends...if I can.

There is also (it seems to me) a general malaise within forums themselves in general on many subjects. There also appears to be a plethora of amateurs, "YouTube Experts," DIYers and related "arm chair" experts "trolling" these forums to get there "I think" perspectives validated, seeking answers they often want to read...not necessarily the correct answer...which can often taking the wind out of discussions by pointless debate, ego stroking and obsessive drive to rack up post counts. The later of these have never been too common here on this forum.

I'm also not sure that the TFG forum is the easiest forum to operate on as well, which in the end is probably the primary reason for less activity?

Blessings,

j

Re: TFG Forum Use [Re: Ken Hume] #34663 06/02/19 12:35 PM
Will B Offline
Ken, Jay,
I agree with what Jay said. I scan the Forestry Forum and this one about every day, but don't contribute unless I have something constructive to add to a meaningful discussion. I find the naiveté of many of the posts frustrating and don't want to get involved; a bit selfish on my part but I'm not into social media anyway and time is valuable. I applaud those who do respond to the posts.
The Forestry Forum is much more active; I think the TFG Forum is not very attractive visually and the only Forum moderator who seems to care about content is Jim Rogers.
I think it is scheduled for an overdue design update.

Re: TFG Forum Use [Re: Will B] #34666 06/02/19 01:22 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Originally Posted By: Will B

I think it is scheduled for an overdue design update.

Yes, when the entire TFG website is updated and online there will be a new forum.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: TFG Forum Use [Re: Ken Hume] #34667 06/02/19 02:50 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hello Ken and Roger!

It seems Ken we have the same haunting habits of the Forestry Forum and this one as well. Yet are very selective toward what topics may warrant our time to post on. I feel you do much, much better than I do...for sure wink

I don't think you are being "selfish" at all, rather than wise. I admonish myself often for even bothering to post on a topic that I know full well is pointless to do so. Too often there seems more interest in debating than true learning or erudite discussion sought for a given topic. Too many egos and "I think" experts with very limited knowledge and/or narrow scope of understanding for given subjects...yet...they seem to think (feel?) that their given perspectives are equal to and/or as valid as those that may have been working (often professionally) on a topic for decades. You are the wiser (in my view of it) for your approach than I think I have ever been, but I'm trying to learn to keep my mouth shut (or my fingers silent more now)...LOL!!!...grin

Jim...that is great news!!! Thank you for your efforts in that arena and I, for one, look forward to the update!

Blessings to all,

j

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 06/02/19 02:51 PM.
Re: TFG Forum Use [Re: Ken Hume] #34670 06/04/19 01:47 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
If traffic is way down:

1. Where is the choke point?
2. How are new users directed here?
3. Are new viewers of the Guild website a product to be delivered to "Visionary Partners"?
4. Has the Guild vision of being a commercial vehicle left the individual behind?
5. Can the meat of commerce be aware it is being pressed into baloney?

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users