Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
marking joints #3541 12/07/06 03:02 AM
A
andrew cambo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
is there a standard method to mark joints? or does each framer have their own system? i've read of using roman numerals, or other symbols easy to make with a chisel, but i'm still not clear on how it's done. also, is it imperative? when cutting a frame like the garden shed, can you interchange pieces, or does each joint need to be designated?

Re: marking joints #3542 12/07/06 02:54 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
The garden shed is square ruled so in theory some of the timbers are interchangable. ie: the front left post is identicle to the back right post, etc. Once timbers have been test fit it's a good idea to keep the assemblies organised so they go together as tested.

There are any number of different ways (both traditional and new) of marking timbers, usually marks are made with the framing chisel or race knife so a variation on roman numerals works well.

I started my house with a partial frame that had been assembled and marked with a large felt tipped marker using the former owners own system. I never did find all the marks (the sun faded the marker) or figure out what they all meant.

I use a french system which numbers the posts, beams are marked at each end with the numbers of corresponding post giving you it's position in the frame. The front left post is marked I, the next is marked II and so on down the line. The second post back fron post I would be also marked I but with a "countermark" which is a small slash like tail added to the I, a third post back would have two countermarks etc.

This is bent number four being raised, I'll see if I can get a shot of the #4 countermark and add it to this thread. You'll note the the marking isn't true roman numerals as the #4 is notated IIII and #9 would be VIIII rather than IX. The reason being that IX (9) looks like XI (11) when viewed upside down. Some people use true roman numerals and underline them to indicate proper orientation.

Hope this helps.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: marking joints #3543 12/07/06 03:23 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
As mentioned in the garden shed some part are inter changeable. And when we do this shed we keep them that way until we do a full frame fit it.
Once a brace has been fit to the post or tie beam it is labeled for that location.
One method we have used is to make a unique symbol on the tenon and the same symbol on the mortise housing. So that star labeled tenon goes to star labeled mortise, for example. These unique symbols are made with pencil or magic marker as the time period from full frame fit up to raising is usually only a week or two at the most, so the sun won't have time to fade the markings.

You can mark the timbers with a chisel and label them as Raphael has mentioned. It is a good system, and you need to have it written down on your plan for future use at raising.
We designate one side of the building to be labeled with a 1 1/2" chisel and one side to be labeled with a 2" chisel. So bent one will have two posts labeled with the roman numeral I but they are different sizes.
We try to always label them on the layout face and at the top of the post, or some other standard location could be used.
Some other timber framers label braces at the post end, only. This make sure that the brace goes into the correct mortise.

You can develop you own system if you want....

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users