Rating: 5
Page 130 of 136 1 2 128 129 130 131 132 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35841 10/21/20 01:23 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonite

Yup, that is what I meant, one picture is worth a thousand words, how do you post such informative pictures, it seems so effortless, but I am sure that t here must be a catch 2 somewhere.

I did use photobucket, back a while ago, but I realized that once they do their little service, they seem to own the pictures, not good!!!

Surely their is a way,

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35846 10/23/20 10:29 AM
C
Cecile en Don Wa Offline
C
My way is not typical, I don't use one of these picture hosting sites like the one mentioned or the others not mentioned. Because I have a website hosted by word press I make use of that service so the first thing you will do is register on that website, it's

free - in exchange for all your personal information, naturally. Then you are able to take pictures off your DVD or hard drive etc...add them to your very own media library where they are automatically assigned a url - don't worry about the techno jargon, it's easy -

you will be prompted to copy this address by clicking on the "copy button" in the editing section of your media library. With this address saved you come to the Timber Framing Guild's forum and to the topic of choice and using the fullest reply option click the icon, which you see above the text

box indicating a photograph, and when the pop-up window appears click the text box there and paste your picture's url in that space and validate the choice. Your picture will then be placed in line in your text. Remember you must first join in at

wordpress to take advantage of their url providing services. It's the url that is key to your success.

Please feel free to post any questions for more clarity on this or other maters.

Attached Files
Timmermän.jpg (255.32 KB, 434 downloads)
Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 10/23/20 10:41 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35847 10/24/20 11:33 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonite

Thanks CD for the great information, it sounds very workable, but I have a problem with releasing to them all my personal. Information

Thanks again

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35848 10/25/20 04:59 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Originally Posted by northern hewer
Hello everyone tonite

Thanks CD for the great information, it sounds very workable, but I have a problem with releasing to them all my personal. Information

Thanks again

NH
Hello NH,

I don't comment much here on your post thread, as it seems most often your just sharing with us what your up to, which is often interesting. I agree "illustrations" are worth a 1000 words. Our little forum is rather atrocious for not being user friendly and certainly not on par with most basic of modern day chat rooms for posting pictures, sharing fonts from other languages, etc. I too wish it was more capable and the "go to" place for woodworkers and the like seeking information on timber framing but its not. It is, however, the horse we have to plow with at this time and gets the job done for the most part...

As for Cecile's advise, it was both informative and accurate, and why when he post pictorial information we all learn from it...

I'm ultra conservative in many ways to the point that I have never owned or carried cell phones, do not have main stream bank accounts and credit cards, and related modern attachments that most folks abide by. Nor do I give out my information willy-nilly." However, it is delusional, in this day and age, if anyone believes that government(s) and business institutions do not track (and continue to try more each day) your comings and goings. That is a simple reality of the modern age and unless you wish to live in wilderness someplace under a rock, it will only get worse...not better...

Governments and businesses of all kinds most certainly do track us, and because they use the internet for this data gathering and storage...all our personal data is already out there but hopefully being better managed than it sometimes is. The trick, if concerned, is having the smallest viable personal digital footprint as possible within context of personal data. I have a solid online digital presence, but it is only "public data," that is put out there. Pictures, if meant to be educational don't belong to you anyway if the intent is to inform and instruct others. So, in reality, it should not matter much what platform you put them on as the copyright is still yours as the originator of the photo, not that this means much these days anyway in some regards if the actual goal is sharing information and not just controlled self promotion...

Folks out in the world could benefit from your shared perspectives of this craft and that includes posting your photographic and illustrative understandings within it. Pick a platform and start sharing...Cecile's choice is an excellent one...

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 10/25/20 04:59 PM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35849 10/30/20 12:00 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonite

Hi Jay, quite a reply, it took me and my old head a couple of reads to digest what you wrote down, and maybe what was in between the lines----

One question though, my photos that I posted using photobucket, will always be in their control, I expect that is their little prize for doing their posting thing for , am I not right?

I do carry a cell phone just for personal security, and having worked for the gov,t I needed a bank acct to get paid,everything is figures---you are right though everyone might just as well have a number tattooed right across our forehead

My main focus in all my posts was to,try and educate those that are interested in my career in the restoration field, this encompassed way more than just creating hewn timber, which is a very rewarding in itself, but led me in many different directions, as I had to use these hewn timbers to create period structures, which in itself again led me to work with historic tradesmen, like black smiths, historic masons, cabinet makers, horse powered equipment, water powered equipment, water powered mills,

So as I end this short essay, I salute all out there that drop in , and especially the timberframers guild who sponsors this site, and I might say that also must have thought that I had something special to say w hen I was invited to lecture a few years ago now

Richard casselman. UE

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35850 11/10/20 02:22 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonite

I was just thinking today about working with rough, irregular sized, hewn timbers, like I have had to in the past to create an accurate reproduction of an existing building.

I was just wondering if there are some of you that would take up the challenge, if the opportunity came your way!

The work order would read something like this

-timeframe, 2 seasons
-find a suitable example (would be specified)
-create a working set of drawings or sketches, and have them approved
-find timber of similar qualities and type
-put together a work team of qualified personnel
-hand hew the necessary sticks, and then using proper methods create the frame
-put together a larger group to raise the frame historically correct methods
-finish the exterior
-finish the interior (both as per drawings, sketches and photographs)
- all work to be of high caliber, and follow directions of site supervisor
-work to meet safety standards (as much as possible), safety briefings a must

Just interested
Richard casselman UE
NH

I forgot to say --no modern tools--

Last edited by northern hewer; 11/10/20 02:25 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35851 11/13/20 12:56 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonight

I guess no one would answer this request for someone to be a leader on this project, I did suspect that someone out there might be interested, to not only show their skills but be part of rescuing a disappearing part of our history

Please feel free to come on board and discuss any aspect of this topic, I would like to help anyone who might need an insight into what rescuing a period structure is all about

I don't feel that I have any special talents, or had any many moons ago, but I did have a father that instilled good carpentry skills I n me, and most of all lead me. In the right direction, and you know I seemed to be in the right place at the right time--some of the time----maybe some of you experienced similar life experiences

Well so much for now

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35852 11/13/20 02:16 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline

Hi Richard,

I will try to catch up in as succinctly a fashion as possible...

Hi Jay, quite a reply, it took me and my old head a couple of reads to digest what you wrote down, and maybe what was in between the lines...One question though, my photos that I posted using photobucket, will always be in their control, I expect that is their little prize for doing their posting thing for , am I not right?
Control...perhaps, at least until they are bought or merged with another business entity, but as far as I know they do not “own” your photos or the copyright to them at all…

I do carry a cell phone just for personal security, and having worked for the gov,t I needed a bank acct to get paid,everything is figures---
Almost all of us have been their Richard for sure at one time or another. I'm more detached now thankfully...

As an inactive U.S. Marine with security clearances and active FBI file (long story) I more than understand being connected and watched. Neither of these things ever really bothered me. It is part of being “in service” and those of us that are, do it willingly. One must learn to “be seen” without “being seen,” but that is an art within itself that is hard to muster. I certainly would not know how if not for being in the service...

My main focus in all my posts was to,try and educate those that are interested in my career in the restoration field...
And...speaking for myself, that interest will never wane as long as you are willing to share! Thank you for doing so!

I was just thinking today about working with rough, irregular sized, hewn timbers, like I have had to in the past to create an accurate reproduction of an existing building...I was just wondering if there are some of you that would take up the challenge, if the opportunity came your way!
I think there are many here Richard that not only “would” but have taken this up. I have followed the Burra Conventions ethos of “like for like in means, methods and materials,” for all my work in the conservation, restoration and/or replication of vintage fabrics be they textile, earth, ceramic, stone or timber. Any and all that actually do it professional at a museum or professional conservators level does. Of course that is way more so in places like Europe or within museums rather than the likes of the, “...This Old House…” types that are nothing more than general contractors that just happen to work on “old buildings,” and certainly not Restoration Experts as they are so often titled…

I’m not certain if you have a LinkedIn account Richard, but you would be more than welcome to join and share on the collective forum that I administer there. It's not much or significant group at all by comparison, only 5900 members but it is a very international collective of professionals, with more than ⅓ of my associations in the field from overseas. It covers everything from paintings and ceramics to furniture, plaster crafts, and of course timber framing too. It also, alas, has a lot of forced advertising too, but that aside its a great way to connect to other professionals that work at a higher level of craft within their given disciplines...especially those of us in mixed mediums and not just one. If you are a member of LinkedIn and/or join...look for: “Architecture and Vintage Materials Conservation, Restoration and Reconstruction” under “groups.”

The work order would read something like this

That “work order” is stand practice and I would say actually “basic” in nature at its best. Anything less than that would not be a restoration effort at all but rather a general contracting project on an old building that someone is more keen to make a profit on rather than actually properly restore something...LOL..especially a nice old timber frame structure...I’m not certain about the power tools part, but I can promise that all is finished by hand and traditional tools are reached for the most...

...I guess no one would answer this request for someone to be a leader on this project, I did suspect that someone out there might be interested, to not only show their skills but be part of rescuing a disappearing part of our history...

Didn’t see the request till tonight Richard, and I thought it was more hypothetical than real and tangible. Is this a project you are on or wanting to get support for?

Either way...such work is out there, but mainly oversees for the most part or in New England area where I have worked on and off since the 80’s with such work…

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35853 11/14/20 01:39 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Everyone tonite

Thanks for coming on board Jay

You have quite a work record for sure, I am humbled!!

Well we all. Travel through life doing and accepting what comes our way, I came from a very humble background----l asked my. High school principal, John Schultz to tell me If my education in a one room country school, SS 10 was equal to receiving an ecducation in a large multi room school, he was quick to reply probably much better, I entered grade 9 at 10 years old and graduated high school at 14 years of age

You know I could have gone to summer school and at. That time taught at 16 years of age, but life took me in different directions, I took.up apprenticing with my father a re al good carpenter, not realizing where I. W as headed, but boy I enjoyed t he ride, and proud of what I accomplished, and many others along the way

It has been great running into you and many others. On this absolutely wonderful site

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35854 11/14/20 03:32 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone again tonite

I really never thought that my accomplishments were pretty basic, I worked under one of the leading architects here in Canada, mr John stokes, who supervised all work at UCV ,

He specialized in historic structures, houses, barns, mills, military holdings, like fort Henry in Kingston Ontario

He hailed from England and was responsible for every aspect of creating UCV

But I guess working under his guidance would have been basic

NH

Page 130 of 136 1 2 128 129 130 131 132 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users