Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Meeting Building codes #35883 01/15/21 06:54 PM
W
Woodsende Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I am in the process of permitting a Hammerbeam workshop. I wish to show the framing on both the exterior and the interior (for an old-world look).

However, the county wants shear walls to meet California Building Codes. Does anyone have experience in how to do this without using 2x4 framing and sheathing (as the county wants)?

The engineering package I purchased from Timberframehq does not address lateral forces.

The county also wants a sill plate with bolts embedded in the concrete pad every 6".

Any guidance/help on dealing with local code inspectors who are not familiar with timber framing would be appreciated!

Robert

Robert
Re: Meeting Building codes [Re: Woodsende] #35889 01/19/21 01:24 AM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hi Robert...

Actually it's pretty easy to meet those standards for tectonic stability but use of dyneema static tensioning cables within the interstitial zones of the infill wall systems...That would be the quickest, but will need to be done by someone that understands these systems and also has a PE too support there work so that the building department accepts the work as viable...

The other is a 貫 (brace beam) system as we find and use in Asia...These can more than meet the load parameters they are looking for and what I would go toward first myself as a traditional and natural builder. Then I would use a cob infill system with a lime wash or alis plastering over that...

There is more to all this but it should give you some things to look into...

Last edited by Jay White Cloud; 01/19/21 01:29 AM.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users