Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Storing green timbers. #3606 12/24/06 12:13 AM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
I was wondering how everybody here stores their green timbers. I have a bunch of oak I am cutting this winter and I don't know when the house will be raised. Hopefully in the spring. I am worried that these timbers are going to twist and move around a lot if I don't get it raised right away. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Storing green timbers. #3607 12/28/06 10:41 PM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
Any suggestions? I am going to start cutting the joinery next week. I have storage racks made from I-beams so that they have a nice level spot to sit for the winter. The only suggestion I have had so far is to cover the stacks with TYVEK. I was also wondering if anybody here can tell me how long I can store these timbers before I get serious damage. Thanks.

Dave (DMS)

Re: Storing green timbers. #3608 12/29/06 01:18 AM
M
Mad Professor Offline
M
Get off the ground with plenty of air underneath, sticker them every ca. 18 in, don't make the stacks too wide so air can get at the middle, if possible put some weight on the top. If you can get a bander used in lumber mills banding after stacking will help with warping but you'll get some stain from the bands. Oak will stain if it comes in contact with metal so I guess thats why tyveck was suggeted, I've used plastic corrogated roofing for a cover

Re: Storing green timbers. #3609 12/29/06 01:39 AM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks MP. My metal bunks are going to be 42" wide. They will just be a level starting place for the stacks. I sawed out a ton of 3"x4" dunnage for the bottom course and also 2"x2" dunnage for the next courses. I was thinking of putting eyelets on the I-beams to attach ratchet straps, they will generate more force than banding, although I do have access to that as well. I know that if I leave oak logs against the backstops on the mill it will stain very quickly! Tannic acid is brutal.

Dave

Re: Storing green timbers. #3610 12/29/06 01:39 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
I have found putting ANY plastic or tarp like material in direct contact with the green wood is likely to get you some bugs in the wood...acts like the bark which should be removed immediatly(unless you're hewing. Yes, they use it to warp kiln dried lumber, but that isn't green. I use sheet metal roofing screwed to a 2x4 frame so air can still pass through. You can anchor it down by filling one gallon water jugs with sand, tying a rope to the handle and tie another jug on the other end....rope goes over roof and jugs should just touch the ground.
At least that what works for me!
Bob

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users