Rate Thread
Internal timberframe leaf wall (Garage) ..load bearing #3942 02/27/07 03:32 PM
M
martyc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi there,
First posting so Hello!
I have a block garage with a flat roof...it is between my house and my boundary(the longest wall of the garage is the boundary)
I have been approved planning to change the roof to a pitched roof...pitch going down from house to boundary @ 22 degrees carrying slates.
The single wall that is currently my boundary wall is not the strongest and really not strong enough enough for a wall plate side abutment setup...so i have decided to look @ building a load bearing timberframe inside the blockwall...this will offer support for the roof, insulation,opportunity to damp proof and i will then plasterboard it...and as its a side abutment it will support my gutter also.
The garage is 24' * 12' and the roof will be regular slate.
Im wondering if someone can tell me what i should build the timber framed wall with(it does not have to look pretty as it will be hidden)...as in what size and spacing timber, and also if there should be a gap between this wall and my damproofed block wall...tips on what insulation to use be ggood to hear too.
Also as my garage is already quite narrow im trying to keep the width of the whole thing to a minimum.
Thanks,
Marty

Re: Internal timberframe leaf wall (Garage) ..load bearing #3943 02/27/07 08:44 PM
brad_bb Offline
Why are you considering timber framing? It would seem from your description that you want only function. It sounds like you want to build support along side the block wall. This will obviously make the overall wall width thicker. Typically timber framing is desired for it's asthetic and architectural qualities. It sounds like you could frame a 2X4 or 2X6 wall to do the same job. It would defintely be easier and be easy to insulate in a conventional way. It sounds like you want to hide it anyway. Is this accurate?
Or is your intention to lay a timber over the top of the block wall and support it with posts? Even then you'd have to cut the block wall up significantly for your posts. Then there is the issue of knee braces interfereing with the block wall.

Re: Internal timberframe leaf wall (Garage) ..load bearing #3944 02/27/07 09:54 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I think this is a case of people speaking the same language differently. martyc, this forum is for discussing traditional heavy timber framing using traditional joinery -not what you call timber framing in Ireland (and Australia and NZ and the UK)-- I'm not sure we're the best folks to help.

Good luck

Gabel

Re: Internal timberframe leaf wall (Garage) ..load bearing #3945 02/28/07 08:46 AM
M
martyc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Brad_bb and Gabel..You are both correct.
I am only looking to build a frame to support a roof rather than build a block wall......and by the looks of this forum you guys are generally talking about something much prettier!!....maybe you could point me to a different forum?
Thanks all the same,
Martin.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users