Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4017 03/10/07 04:59 PM
T
Timbo Offline
T
I would agree with all advice given. I would not remove all the bark , just strips and seal. if you cover keep it loose as suggest bearlier. a year shouldn't make too much differense in hardness. I'd hew in winter if I had a choice. Are your logs knotty or clear? It would make a diff. how I would hew them.

Timothy W Longmore
Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4018 03/11/07 05:04 PM
R
Ranger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Timbo,

I don't believe that it's going to be that knotty, but I've certainly been known to be wrong before. wink What kind of differences between knotty vs. clear, in terms of hewing, are you talking about.
BTW, hewing in the winter would actually be a great option for me, but I wasn't sure if that would be harder/easier. Thanks for the info!

Ranger

Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4019 03/12/07 06:54 PM
brad_bb Offline
Remember to cut down the trees before the sap runneth up! That means cut immediatly or you have to wait until next winter.

Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4020 03/13/07 12:30 AM
T
Timbo Offline
T
Clear pine is almost fun to hew. Knotty pine is .....not. When you make your juggle cuts/notches you need to put one notch on each side of each knot or you'll get tear out (or in). I'll probably get hate mail for this but I cheat. You see I'm a cheap bastard and don't like making 2 cord of kindlin wood per beam so I take and mill the logs down to about an 1" heavy on all faces , and then hew to near fin dimensions. HEW IMMEDIATLY AFTER MILLING. If you let them dry don't bother trying to hew ( drawshave ). I hew in a non tradional method but the procedure is about the same. chalk a line ,cut juggle notches, split off juggles, broadaxe, optional adzing. I've found I end up with a beam that has a more subtle hewn fin. but has alot less knot tear-out. If your interested I'll share my tools and tech. forhewing next time I'm on. If any one else has any hew tricks I'd be interested in hearing them. Back is killing me Timbo out

Timothy W Longmore
Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4021 03/13/07 01:40 AM
R
Ranger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
The plan is to cut down the trees very soon but with this rapid warm up, maybe it would be better sooner rather than later.
Timbo, thanks for info on how you hew you logs. Especially the part about how you deal with knots. Thanks for all the information that you all have provided, I really appreciate it!

Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4022 03/14/07 02:05 PM
Will Truax Offline
If you can’t drop ‘em till the weekend, girdle them today… though if your neck is anything like here sap was barely “down” this winter, every little bit helps.

Just fell them before the bugs are back out

And do peel them entirely, any missed, is an invitation to both borers and bluestain

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4023 03/14/07 07:01 PM
S
Steve Morrison Offline
S
Greetings all. Been here on the sidelines following this along, and would be interested to hear more about what Timbo's (or anybody's) reasons might be for only removing some of the bark upon felling.

Steve

Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4024 03/15/07 01:14 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi Ranger, and everyone else, great thread, and one close to my heart.

I too have been on the sidelines, getting a handle on all the suggestions put forward.

For many years I demonstrated and taught the art of Traditional hewing, and it always happened in the hot season right through till fall. In the old logging camps the season for logging and hewing was winter--big time--so we really are trying to do something that would normally not be done by the old timers --period--hew in the heat!!

We floated our logs in the mill pond to discourage those evil bugs, but they still managed to chew on the upper exposed parts. Hewing as everyone knows makes no use of the outside of the log, it all ends up in the scrap pile anyway. One thing that floating does is keep the moisture level high in the log so that the hewing process is easier and leaves a nice finish.

Long logs take a while to square up especially if you are working in the heat of the summer, from one day to the next the dry air will start to split the finished surface as you work around the log. I always kept the upper or finished surface, covered with a 1" board to shield it at the end of each day. Upon finishing the hewing process the timber went into an open storage shed until needed.

Without a means to float the logs, I suggest using a fire hose to wet them down thoroughly once a week, and shielding from the direct sun's rays.

One of the suggestions from the posts before me was to run them through a mill to bring them down to 1" oversize, not a bad idea in my books, it would remove the sapwood layer that the bugs like, and them pile them indoors, and try and keep them as green as possible. It is hard to beat floating them in some kind of a bath

NH

Re: Hewing White Pine Logs #4025 03/18/07 12:04 AM
T
Timbo Offline
T
The bark acts as a moisture barrier. By removing strips you allow moisture escape slowly(reducing checking). This can be done relativly easily as I've discribed in previos post. I do admit removing all the bark would be better, if precaution mention by NH are preformed as well. Pine is notorious for blue stain and borers. To do the logs soon would be best. If thats not an option open the bark to let them breath and roll the pile occasionly so the sun does beat on the top of the pile and blue stain doesn't attach the moist under belly.

Timothy W Longmore
Re: Hewing White Pine Logs [Re: Ranger] #11602 05/24/07 03:47 PM
T
toivo Offline
T
be careful around the knots- perhaps use a chainsaw and score in front, behind, and if it's big right over the knot. not traditional, but fast and accurate. you can basically cut out all the knots and have clear hewing.

i personally think the gransfor double bevelled broadaxe is kind of little for hewing big trees. a bigger finnish style axe will get you down the log faster and makes a flatter face straight away. plus if the ground is uneven, branches, chunks of wood etc the path is always smooth for walking on the log. plus easier on the back. the gransfor axe does put a nice 'axey' kind of surface on the timber, and is useful as a last pass for cleaning up scoring marks.

kiitos for the sauna plans! i agree with what has been said about pine in saunas- it will drip sap prety much forever. a friend has a beautiful 20 year old timber-framed sauna out of white pine and you've got to watch where you sit!

Last edited by toivo; 05/24/07 03:48 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users