Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
All dressed up and no where to go! #4039 03/10/07 01:25 AM
T
Timbo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My question is how did you guys that do these timber frame jobs break into it? I'm almost fifty and been doing contracting for almost 30 years and interested in timberframing almost that long , but can't seem to make the transition to doing just log and timber joinery. I'm pretty good at it , I have great referenses, and have a reputation for doing whatever I set my mind to. The thing that always seems to kill the deal is my honesty. They ask " ever build a timber frame house before " I answer " no " , end of story. I could show them projects that would blow them away but the confidense factors already blown. Any suggestions would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.Timbo out

Timothy W Longmore
Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4040 03/10/07 01:52 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
Maybe you could blow them away before they ask if you have built a house? Kind of a first impressions thing.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4041 03/10/07 07:28 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
How about getting in on some of the Guilds projects, and/or finding a local timber framer that might need some help with cutting or raising a frame? At the least you will have gained some more info on timber framing, and at best you can tell potential clients that you have had some experience with it. Or build yourself a couple small out buildings so you can show people what you are capable of.....I think you have the drive to do it, now you just need to manifest it. Keep going! smile

Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4042 03/10/07 12:07 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Timbo,

I am sort of in the same boat there with you. Not so much just TF but larger construction in general.
There seems to be a huge misconception out there about what it takes to build anything with a certain size. I get calls about additions or building a house somewhat frequently. I talk to the customers, show them my portfolio......
Everthing seems to be going fine until they ask when I could start and how many guys I would have on the job. That is usually the end of it. Then when I look around I can see why they are thinking that 2 guys cannot build a house but 4-6 can. They are used to seeing that many guys on the job. Now wether or not they all are actually working does not seem to matter. There are 4-6 guys so that is what it takes. I have seen to many jobs though with a large crew on it. And most of the time they are just standing around talking and if you were lucky enough you might see one or two of them working. Slow pace though. Yeah, they are right it takes 4-6 because that way they can be assured that somebody will be working some. But they are paying all of them for just being there. So you need to come up with some other way to proof that you can pull it off. I have great references but even they do not really help when it comes down to it. At the most they get your foot in the door.

If you are interested I am trying to aquire a piece of land and want to build a German Timberframe spec house on it. This way I hope I can get some customers interested. Plus they can see that I can build a house with just two guys and not a bunch of......, well lets not get into that. But I am still in the planning phase of it.

Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4043 03/10/07 12:57 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Timbo, work the small stuff first, tf porch on a conventional house, tf great room in a conventional house, tf bunkie for a cottage, tf to make that wall dissapear.... Just keep workin it, it will happen and it's worth it when it does.

Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4044 03/10/07 02:47 PM
T
Timbo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the great advice. Most of these projects I have done up to moving and re-erecting a 36 x60 timber barn on a raised foundation. A very high profile job which led to the only new frame I've built. But then the work switched to repair work ( 7 years ago ) and we've never got back to new construction. I usually don't advertise with the exception of trying to sell barn frames thru a local swap rag. This does seem to get me leads tho rather cold leads. I think the advice of something big that I can always show is a good idea, such as the hybred timber addition I'm building on my house. A friend once called advertising as shameless self promotion , I guees I need to learn to blow my own horn. Thanks, Timbo out

Timothy W Longmore
Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4045 03/12/07 01:30 AM
P
pegs_1 Offline
P
Timbo where are you from?

I would be happy to send you some leads.

Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4046 03/17/07 01:13 AM
T
Timbo Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm in northern NY about 60 miles north of Syracuse. Thanks

Timothy W Longmore
Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4047 03/17/07 03:31 AM
P
pegs_1 Offline
P
If I get anything from there I'll send you an email

Re: All dressed up and no where to go! #4048 03/17/07 01:40 PM
M
MTF Offline
M
timbo,
my situation was, and is, similar. I’ve focused on building barns, the bigger the better. I’ve played with different timber framing styles and techniques while building many barns over the last 7 years. My TF business is an aggressive PT venture and I don’t think I would be able to evolve in the same fashion if it were a FT venture. We build about 10 large/medium barns a year and have built a few homes/additions and specialty structures along the way. I’ve found, and many others have found, that cutting and erecting a TF house or addition is not the world’s biggest challenge, but finishing that frame can be!! Many TFer only do TFing, they do not finish homes. If you’re going to focus on the general contractor end of the business, it really is a different business. I’m not sure what direction to move in, but I’m leaning toward just offering TF’s and not GC services.

All of the buildings we have built are available to support growth of the business should I actually find the energy and brains to do that!! My biggest issues remaining the business end of the world. The building is challenging but the business end gives me a head ach!!

I guess my suggestion is to take it slow, the business will come and keep it fun!!

Best of luck
pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users