Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Braces #4063 03/14/07 12:35 AM
B
beerfreak Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Why do braces seem to be fitted to the outside or inside of posts and beams rather than in the middle. I can understand if windows are to be fitted but this seems to be the norm.

Re: Braces #4064 03/14/07 01:29 AM
P
P Smith Offline
P
I work with historic timberframes and it has been my experience that traditional jounery is based on laying out from the "Framing Face". i.e. braces are framed 1 1/2" & 1 1/2". Tie Beams can be 2" & 2" or 3" & 3" etc. Something to that affect. Why? It was my understaning that this was simply to make the layout process systematic and it would be easy to layout using just the Blade/Tongue of a framing square.

Funny thing is laying out from the "Framing Face" could mean the master builder used one of the following layout methods. Scribing, Snap Line Square rule, Square rule or Mill Rule.

PS

Re: Braces #4065 03/14/07 01:48 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
Beerfreak
I might be missing what you were asking but, the reason you reference to the outside face (on the outside of the frame) is so the siding has a smooth surface to be nailed to. If you centered them you would have to shim out to them.
On inside timbers it is so walls could be done the same way.
Bob

Re: Braces #4066 03/14/07 11:12 AM
M
MTF Offline
M
Like most, we do frame layout to an outside face, square rule for the most part, but than just 'flip' the inside braces to put them in the middle during assembly. We don’t do this all the time, but is an option. Braces on the outside bends look best to the outside and function best as well as they can be nailed to.
pete

Re: Braces #4067 03/14/07 11:38 AM
T
Timbo Offline
T
I to uderstood that in square rule the blade of the square was used for layout from the outer referense face. In scribe fit this face would have been hewn to a tighter tolerance probably using a square ir similar instrument.In heavy duty frames 4x4 braces where sometimes doubled up to on tying beams. I also concur that the brace on the out simplyfies and strengthens the joint considerably. If the brace was in the middle of a 10x10 for instance then the craftsman (or apren.) would have to bore a peg hole fully through beam.

Timothy W Longmore
Re: Braces #4068 03/14/07 11:56 AM
G
Griffon Offline
G
but ...

there are plenty of other instances where the post must be drilled right through. To fit the girts to the outside face is toute apparent but why the need to fix (nail) to the braces when they (usually) cover but a small corner of a wall siding?

The marking up, I can see would be easier; I'm planning to fit my house braces central to the girts, then I can hang misteltoe & holly over them at Xmas! laugh

Time is an ocean but it stops at the shore Bob Dylan
Re: Braces #4069 03/14/07 12:11 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Beerfreak,

The short answer is that it is easier that way, especially when scribing -- which is how practically all English frames were built.

Also, as has been mentioned (and perhaps of greater influence), keeping the faces of the timbers aligned (posts, beams, braces, studs, etc.) allows for easier cladding, infilling, or partitioning.

Cheers,

Gabel

Re: Braces #4070 03/14/07 11:11 PM
T
Thomas-in-Kentucky Offline
T
From my limited experience, draw boring becomes harder to accomplish when your braces (and tenons in general) are toward the middle of your timbers. Any misalignment of the boring bit (deviation from 90 degrees) becomes amplified the further you bore into the timber. (and if your timbers are not exactly square, and historically they would not have been, then this is even more of an issue). Not sure if this is _why_ they held braces to the sides of the timbers, but this is one reason _why_not_ to hold them toward the middle. Of course this would not be a concern if you do not use draw boring.

-Thomas

Re: Braces #4071 03/14/07 11:17 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
I would have to agree with some of the previous postings. It simplifies layout, infill or clading etc.

With draw boring you drill the hole into the mortise first then mark your tenon. So it would not matter were you put the brace and wether or not the hole is a perfect 90 degress to the boring face.

Re: Braces #4072 03/15/07 12:41 AM
T
Timbo Offline
T
We have run into many instances where the brace hole did not penetrate thru the beam. I am always pleased to find them all the way thru and sdjust my dis-assebly time accordingly. Removing a purlin or tying girt as there also known when it has been "blind pegged" is a real pain in the. When you have a whole building worth of parts laying in front of you identifcation of parts is a no brainer. With everything laid out from a common face is just logical , the evolution of framing at its best. The way these connection work with the siding make for an incredably strong wall systems.

Timothy W Longmore
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users