Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Timberframe oil finishes #4248 03/09/99 05:26 PM
R
Rudy R Christian Offline
R
Joel is right about counting your rags. We use a pretty much ragless process. Apply with a brush. Don't wipe (you don't need to), and keep your brush submerged in mix when not in use.

One other warning. Our very first raising was a hand raising. We had done so well with scheduling, we were oiling timbers the day we were raising (because we had been finishing the joinery the night before). The next day we heard more than one story of beards being shaved of before husbands were allowed to come to bed.

Job hazards never sleep.

Re: Timberframe oil finishes #4249 03/09/99 07:06 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
I think Im missing the point here gentlemen?
Whats the deal with the beards being shaved off?
is this Rude (Pun sort of intended - well almost- remember Im facially hairilly challenged!)
Why count the rags the stuff does not combust of its own accord?
however, buy me enough beer and I might
thats to say MIGHT, admit the story about the beer, the Chimney fire, the Jotul Stove, and (what I thought was) the hand sprayer full of water from the workshop - you guessed it

Bill

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity

While

The Optimist sees Opportunity in every difficulty
Re: Timberframe oil finishes #4250 03/12/99 03:39 AM
M
Matthew_Marino Offline
M
I'm as confused as ever. It has been publicized that linseed will in fact sponaneously combust on rags and brushes. Why then doesn't it combust on a timber. Also, does this impact the flamability of the timber once the finish is dry? Last, what are the problems with applying these finishes to hewn surfaces.

[This message has been edited by Matthew_Marino (edited 03-11-99).]

Re: Timberframe oil finishes #4251 03/12/99 01:37 PM
B
Bill Keir Offline
B
It is plain that I too am missing out on something.

I have never heard of Linseed spontaneously combusting.
Bear in mind that the UK's main importer told me that Linseed is non flammable, and you can- "Boil It" without it catching fire.

This would suggest that it is the thinners or carrier, (the turps) that causes the problem. This would not appear the case with the stuff used here otherwise there would be warnings on the containers, general knowledge of the occurrence etc.

I have to admit to being a little concerned as there are jars, brushes, and mountains of rags scattered around my home workshop, and have been for years.

Anyone who is chemically gifted and who can explain the possible differences or the situations leading to spontaneous combustion would have his views well received here.

With regard to the hand hewn timber, there should be no problem applying the finish.
I have found that a hand sprayer to be ideal, avoiding the risks involved with snagging bristles or threads on any splintery bits.

I have been advised by the distributors of Wagner Airless Sprayers that these can be used with a Linseed turps mix without problems.

Bill

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity

While

The Optimist sees Opportunity in every difficulty
Re: Timberframe oil finishes #4252 03/12/99 04:55 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
I'm no chemist, but Karl Brandt is. I'll see if I can rope him into this.

We have better than anecdotal evidence of the spontaneous flammability (like Bill's sense of humour) of flax oil/linseed oil products. It seems to require the intermediate vehicle of a rag.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users