Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wood species #4265 03/14/99 04:13 PM
J
JTCoon Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have access to a few hundred very large eastern hemlock trees (3'-4' dbh, 80-100' tall) Is eastern hemlock a suitable species for timber framing? Has anyone of the experts ever used hemlock?

Re: Wood species #4266 03/15/99 08:02 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
I have used Hemlock.

It has a reputation as prone to shake and rot.

This does not necessarily mean that it is completely unsuitable to framing, only that it should be carefully examined during the sawing and timber framing stages. Ring shake can be pretty scary, and completely compromise the structural properties of a timber.

Normally, hiring a consulting forester for advice in these matters is the most efficient way to proceed. For instance, it may be that there is a local market for Hemlock in your area that would generate enough cash for you to buy another species of framing timber that might be better suited to your project.

Re: Wood species #4267 03/15/99 10:57 PM
R
Rudy R Christian Offline
R
Jack Sobon is a good source of information about suitability of timber. He may be close enough to you (Windsor MA) to consult directly, or I can forward your question to him for a response. He would be a valuable resource in either case.

Re: Wood species #4268 04/07/99 12:49 AM
P
Paul Freeman Offline
P
A local Timber Framer uses Eastern Hemlock extensively and was quite suprised when I mentioned to them that I had heard of
Hemlock's reputation for rot. He claims that he has no trouble with rot whatsoever, even in some unprotected "doll house" frames.

By the way, the rumours or rot I have heard all eminate from the notorious little hamlet of Alstead, NH. Associated with one of the rumours was the comment that in at least one case the enclosure system employed was a suspect infill system. Early "learning experience" in such a fertile timber framing petri dish as Alstead could very well proliferate to the point of legend. I would be very interested to hear of other more fact based evidence.

Regarding ring shakes, this particular framer carefully plans any affected areas on the timber to be placed in concealed areas such as closets, or dropped ceilings, and of course they don't use these pieces where the timbers structural capacity seems to be compromised. They also apply a finish to the timber in the shop prior to delivery, which I believe should inhibit further "shaking".

I only report what I have heard, not having any direct experience with this subject.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users