Timber guild!
I recently purchased 33 acres with lots of oak timber. I am very interested in building a timber frame
home or at least a hybrid home. My great wish is to cut the timber from my land and create the posts and beams from
these logs. My question is on the process of creating timbers. When is the best time to cut oak? There are several local mills that
can cut them.
The next question is even bigger. There seems to be a lot of debate over using green or dried timbers. I have built furniture and instruments
for several years. I know what green lumber does when placed in a chair or table. I don't
pretend to be an expert on timber framing. What do timber framers do to compensate for the
drying, shrinking and twisting of lumber? I am a bit skeptical about using green wood. Can someone boost my
confidence in the structural integrity of using green wood? Is there is compromise between using green wood and kiln drying?
Would it be possible to cut the trees and allow them to sit off the ground for several months and then have them sawn? I just don't
know what to do! Please help a interested future framer!