Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
timberlinx fasteners #4535 03/12/04 06:44 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline OP
OP Offline
M
are there folks using timberlinx fasteners out there?
particularily the post bottom/concrete anchor system?
would like to hear feedback from experienced users on how well they work....
-M.

Re: timberlinx fasteners #4536 04/27/05 11:49 AM
D
dab Offline
D
Me too. I'm also considering using timberlinx and would like to hear your opinions.

-Dave

Re: timberlinx fasteners #4537 04/28/05 01:39 PM
C
Chip Swanson Offline
C
Hi Folks,

In response to Mark Davidson's and dab's (Dave)questions about Timberlinx connectors;

Right up front I will say that I've worked closely with Mike Preston and Neil Maclean of Timberlinx, as a "technical field representative", as well as a supply depot and shipper. I have also been honest with them about my approach to these connectors, and any other mechanical connectors designed to be used for joining timber and log structures, and made clear to them that there is a wide range of opinion and simple gut-reaction within the timber framing community to the use of mechanical connectors in our work. I began as a "traditional crafter" inthe mid-eighties and have an aesthetic and philosophical allegiance to that origin. But I also have, I think, a craftsman-like approach to the process of evolution, and certainly a much greater understanding of structural characteristics of various timber species, and the requirements any design places against those characteristics.

Without getting too deply into the politics of timber frame joinery, and the historical context of the definition of "tradition", all of us have to make decisions about how we approach our work and deliver to our customers that compromise of what they want and what is possible given the limitations of the material we work with. We have to guage our customers' desires, our own parameters, and lay out the options that fit.

So, a long story short; I've told Mike and Neil that I got into timber framing because of a deep and strong attraction to the romantic mix of a building form that seems to represent a simpler, stronger, more "connected" lifestyle, combined with an aesthetic that allows immediate, yet subtle effects on our limbic systems, and that I cannot give that up. That being said, Timberlinx connectors are the first that I've felt confident using, in order to allow me to create some spaces that would otherwise be incredibly difficult or impractical using "traditional" wood-to-wood joinery. I will represent them for what they are; the best completely-concealed fastener I've seen yet.

Their most obvious (and probably originally intended) use is in tension situations. The joint still has to be analyzed so the pins are placed to gain enough resistance to parallel and perpendicular shear to handle the loads. Many, but not all, inspectors' eyes begin to glaze over when you start talking about this stuff, but the fact that a table of engineering values can be shown makes for a big sigh of relief.

The A475 and AB675 connectors are used in combination with 7/8 threaded rod, washer and nut for post hold-downs. The length of the rod, and its connection points to re-bar would be determined by load calculations. Just like a strap or bar, you have to be at the pour to place them correctly, or trust you concrete guy to do so accurately. Once they're in, it's pretty easy to plot their exact location into the post bottom, and bore the holes. As far as the raising goes, I hated getting my hands under a post during the raising to try to guide a bar or strap into a slot on an interior post; it's pretty easy to steer posts down onto these things, especially if the end-bore is a little bigger (1-1/4" or1-1/2") than would be normally done. A larger bore also allows a little more knocking around after the post is down to locate and plumb it correctly.

Using Timberlinx will change the assembly and raising process a bit, depending on your frame design. Pieces generally need to enter the joint at 180 degrees to the pipe, if the pipe is not able to be inserted from the back side once the joint is together. But this kind of question comes up during the design phase, and isn't all that necessary to go into now.

Well, I've probably lost 3/4 of you guys through simple volume of verbiage at this point, so I guess I'd better close it up. The guys at Bensonwood Homes may have more to say about the hold-down uses; they have a much higher volume than I, and will likely have encountered some experiences I haven't.

Bottom line is; Used correctly and appropriately the Timberlinx connector is superior when you need or want mechanical connection. The cut can and will go faster. After the frame is up, we framers may be able to tell the difference in one or two situations, but if you were to visually compare a Timberlinxed frame with a tenoned frame by the same company, it would be very difficult to tell the difference.

I'm sure some people will have strong reactions. I invite more questions, and continue to be intrigued and challenged in a very positive way with the discussions of definitions, roles, contexts, etc that have been continual within the Guild since its inception.

Cheers,

Chip Swanson
Berry Hill Timber Frames
Cambridgeport, VT
866-222-3413
www.bhtimberframes.com

Re: timberlinx fasteners #4538 04/28/05 06:58 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Dave, for dredging up this question and many thanks to Chip for writing a reply with plenty of info. Neil from timberlinx just came by last week and dropped off a box of the threaded rod connectors(A475). We are using them to connect the top of a main floor post to the bottom of a second floor post with the threaded rod passing through a beam. This is a spot where the timberlinx really shine and offer a big savings in labour(two simple shoulders and two square end cuts vs. two m & t).
I can relate to Chip's experience as someone who also started joinery in the mid eighties in the traditional mode -at a local living history museum. I built my first solo frame using my own horse to harvest trees from our county forest and all the principal timbers were squared with axes... while I sometimes meet clients who share my love of traditional timberwork, sometimes it's the timbers they want, not the joinery... Connectors can help lower the bottom line in that situation.

Re: timberlinx fasteners #4539 04/29/05 02:13 AM
J
JoeyLowe Offline
J
My two cents worth concurs with all of the above. Aside from the obvious advantages of increased strength, I was really impressed with the quality of customer service and dedication of both Mike and Neil. They have a great product and I see nothing but good things on the horizon for this company. I have not used the hold downs yet, but I have used the A095s and they work better than advertised. The drilling sequence is simple and the assembly process is pretty straight forward. One area where this system really shined for us was the connections of an interupted ridge beam to a king post truss. The connectors were easy to use. They provided increased strength at this volatile joint and I was able to preserve the appearance of traditional joinery.

J. Alexander Lowe & Sons
"In The German Tradition"
877-815-2417
Re: timberlinx fasteners #4540 04/30/05 11:22 AM
D
dab Offline
D
Guys, Thanks for all the information. I'm actually considering using the timberlinx connectors for all of joints on the frame except the post-to-foundation. The Simpson post bases and connectors look better for the latter purpose.

What I'm doing is reengineering a 150 year old oak frame. It was a 30x70 barn that I am resurrecting as a 29x40 garage. I'm cutting off many of the old tenons and reattaching the frame members to new places. My attraction to the timberlinx is that they are hidden, appear to be easy to use, and would be a good alternative to trying to work with rock hard, 150 year old oak and chestnut.

I'm an owner-builder with little experience. I'm an engineer. My plan is to design the frame, hire someone pour the foundation, construct and raise the frame myself, then hire someone to enclose the building and finish it off. Basically, I'll do the fun stuff myself and hire people to do the rest.

If the timberlinx don't pass mustard with the biulding inspector, I'll resort to external steel plates and other connectors from Simpson. I'm a little worried that the testing was done to Canadian and not US standards.

-Dave

Re: timberlinx fasteners #4541 04/30/05 12:39 PM
J
JoeyLowe Offline
J
Dab:

It is my understanding that a new engineering report is due to be released soon and I also understand that Dick Schmidt of the University of Wy. is involved in the testing. Probably the best way to overcome any code issues is to put one of these connectors in the hands of an inspector. That is what we did and there were no objections. These connectors are solidly built and the report speaks for itself.

J. Alexander Lowe & Sons
877-815-2417
Re: timberlinx fasteners #4542 05/02/05 01:41 AM
J
JoeyLowe Offline
J
Hey Mark:

You might want to contact Mike Preston or Neil at Timberlinx to discuss their anchor connections. It is my understanding that their product has never been denied by any building inspector in North America and I also believe that all engineering tests were completed in a lab that meets ICC-ES standards. I think that Mike or Neil could better explain their product that the rest of us and it has been my experience that they don't pressure anyone into buying their product. It might be worthwhile to speak to them direct.

J. Alexander Lowe & Sons
877-815-2417

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users