Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Call to Engineers in Magazine #4595 11/20/04 12:30 AM
T
T. Ryan Offline OP
OP Offline
T
A while back in Timber Framing someone asked engineers to contact him in order to pool together some engineers that are guild members and get some discussion going about the topic. Anyone know who that was and how to contact him? I am having a hard time finding it again. Thanks.

Ted

Thaddeus "Ted" J. Ryan
Putnam Collins Scott Associates
tryan@pcsainc.com
(253) 383-2797
(253) 383-1557 (fax)
www.pcsainc.com
Re: Call to Engineers in Magazine #4596 11/20/04 05:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ted and anyone who is interested,

The meeting was organized by Randy Churchill of Joint Effort Timber Framing, and was a great opportunity to meet with practicing designers and engineers about ongoing engineering issues. Approximately 15 people got together over the three mornings of the conference, for breakfast. Amongst other things, we discussed the future of timber frame engineering, and how best to approach educating engineers and non-engineers alike.

I have created an email list of all attendees and collected the minutes of the meetings. Since then, we have picked up a few new members, and Dick Warner put forward a paper on modelling of a drawboared mortice and tenon joint, for peer review. There are now over twenty (engineers and non-engineers alike) included in the discussion group, with Randy still leading the charge.

If ANYONE wants to join in on the discussion, please email me directly (check out my member profile for my email address), and I'll make sure your name is added to the list. Also, let me know of anyone else who may be interested in joining. To anyone who is interested, I'll forward a copy of the minutes of the meetings and a copy of Dick's paper.

Randy is asking for submissions of papers/ideas for articles in the "Timberframing" journal, and the group is looking for topics of discussion.

If you have any further questions, either post them here on the bulletin board, or contact me or Randy directly.

Thanks for your interest.

Mark Gillis, P.Eng.

Re: Call to Engineers in Magazine #4597 12/09/04 03:46 PM
R
Randy Churchill Offline
R
We (Will, Joel, Dick, others, and I) are planning a similar "informal" gathering at the TFG Western Conference in April - this to get the pulse of the community and spur folks to action.

Also planning to hold a 200 level seminar for engineers on a topic yet to be determined. Probably be a Case Study or Advanced Analysis Method.

Next fall in Burlington look for a series of engineering topics - probably 3 on the same day so we can attrach local designers/engineers (many within a 4 hour drive).

We need motion - everybody please writeup a case study to share with the group. Don't be shy. Baby steps needed.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users