Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
timber dimensions for roof - i need documatation #4626 02/16/05 09:34 PM
T
Timber-Jill Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am building a family room addition on to my house. The building inspector requires some documentation (or an engineer's stamp) to support the proposed timber dimensions.

I'm planning on using a 5"x14" ridge and 5"x11" purlins, with a maximum span of 10'. I am also planning on using "fake plate" detail ends of 4 ft -- 2' overhang to support the roof overhang, with the remaining 2' torx screwed to the 2"x6" stud framed wall on the inside (hidden behind drywall). The snow load in this region is 48.6 lbs/sq ft. Species: kiln-dried Douglas Fir.
(Unususal dimensions, but I'm hoping to use what I have available).

Q's: Are the dimensions adequate for the span, given the snow load?
Where would I get documentation/tables to appease the building inspector? (I'd rather not pay for an engineer if I can research this myself.)
Is 2' enough length on the inside wall to cantilever the 2' roof overhang for the fake plate exterior detail?
Where to I find tables to estimate the dead load of the weight of the timbers themselves?

I'm a two-year Jr Timber Framer, seeking support for this do-it-myself project. Thanks for your assistance.
Timber-Jill

Re: timber dimensions for roof - i need documatation #4627 02/28/05 02:33 AM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
It sounds like you have a very lenient building inspector.
I am seat-of-the-pants engineering, I generally overbuild for joinery decisions, as well as my own personal taste. However, a very large portion of those responding to these forums Do use tables, modeling, and what not to arrive at sizing.

What type of roof are you buildig? You mention a ridge, and imply common purlins. Is there a truss involved? Principle Rafters? And how did you arrive at your "Fake Plate" design, as opposed to, say, Brackets, or some other system to allow flying rafters?

The more details you are able to provide, the more likely someone will be able to lead you to the answers you seek.

Also. It has never been terribly expensive for me to have my drawings reviewed, and stamped. I wouldn't rule out that option, even as you seek to satisfy the requirements yourself laugh

Re: timber dimensions for roof - i need documatation #4628 03/03/05 01:26 PM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
There are some useful calculators and info at www.woodweb.com that might allow you to answer a few of your questions.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users