Print Thread
Rate Thread
How many Knee braces are actually required?? #4728 12/31/05 03:16 AM
R
Rossignol Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello again Gents!!
When is enough enough when it comes to knee braces. I'm planning on using SIPS. I was thinking that they will provide quite a bit of lateral stability. My design currently has 5 bents spaced confused at various intervals (the largest space being 12'-2). I have braces on every post and beam intersection which makes joinery challenging and reduces window/door sizes. Are braces at each corner enough? What is the method for determining where to put them and how many do I need??

Todd

Re: How many Knee braces are actually required?? #4729 12/31/05 08:48 AM
M
Michal Zajic Offline
M
Hi Todd,

I wouldn't say there is a clear, straight forward answer. You could either engineer the frame or, with some experience, use a "common sence". Drawings with dimensions would be very helpful here.

Not every brace can be ommited or replaced by SIPs, eg. load-bearing braces cannot be touched at all (hammer beam braces, braces under posts, etc.) These braces are usually in a bent plain.

Braces providing lateral stability can be removed when:
  • SIPs are properly anchored directly to the beams originaly connected by a brace.
  • SIPs are in a large portion of the bay (not too many openings or small/fragmented pannels)
  • screw spacing and pannel layout shall be reviewed by an engineer
  • you provide enough bracing to support frame before SIPs are installed

Finally, not every bay needs to be braced. You can do three bays without bracing and every fourth brace. The best practice is to brace the first and the last bay.

Even you suggested braces at each corner, which sounds good, I think it is not enough unless you make sure SIP anchors are properly spaced/designed.

Michal
TFDesign

Mr. Michal Zajic Timber Frame Design http://www.tfdesign.cz
Re: How many Knee braces are actually required?? #4730 01/01/06 10:05 PM
R
Rossignol Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Michal, Thanks a bunch, that actually helped alot. I'm notorious for overbuilding. The braces I was referring to are non-loadbearing braces connecting posts with beams. I will have my drawings reviewed by a timber frame home designer before construction and ordering begins to ensure everything is good to go.
Are you by chance a designer, and if so what would you charge to finalize some plans? I am drawing plans on AutoCAD 2005 and can send them DWG.
Happy New Year All
Todd

Re: How many Knee braces are actually required?? #4731 01/03/06 12:09 PM
M
Michal Zajic Offline
M
Hi Todd,

Yes, I am a civil engineer and I have been designing timber frame constructions for over 5 years.

Even I can review your plans, I'm not licensed in the USA and thus cannot provide engineer's stamp.

If you are still interested, please, contact me via email or submit a form on our website.

Best,
Michal Zajic
www.TFDesign.cz

Mr. Michal Zajic Timber Frame Design http://www.tfdesign.cz
Re: How many Knee braces are actually required?? #4732 01/20/06 06:12 PM
C
Christopher Hoppe Offline
C
Dear Todd:
As an engineer, I have never met a brace that I didn't like. On the other hand, I have never met an architect that liked all the braces that I like.

Re: How many Knee braces are actually required?? #4733 01/21/06 04:09 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
and never trust an Irishman that doesn't ----- (do ur own fill in)

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users