Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
design CAD software for timber frame #5030 07/07/99 10:34 PM
S
Scott Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi, Im after some infomation on CAD software that is best to use for both log & timber frame construction? Budget for software is under $10000. I'm currently trained in AutoCAD and would like something that is compatiable with this and other cad programs.

Re: design CAD software for timber frame #5031 07/08/99 02:01 PM
D
durni Offline
D
Scott, check out www.timbercad.com it's an add-on package to AutoCAD for designing Timberframes, I'm not sure of it's applicability for log homes.

[This message has been edited by durni (edited 07-08-99).]

Re: design CAD software for timber frame #5032 07/08/99 05:31 PM
P
Paul Freeman Offline
P
There is a lot to be said for going with an AutoCAD based timber framing package. I am able to integrate 3D Architectural Drawings with my 3D Timber Frame models allowing the client a better perspective of their design. I am also able to generate accurate shop drawings from the same model. If I decide to make changes to the model, they are automatically updated in the 3D model and therefore in my architecturals due to this dynamic link.

I am also able to integrate my drawings with the engineers' site plans since the majority also use AutoCAD. I have access to millions of existing users who are already trained AutoCAD users, thousands of books for additional support, hundreds of colleges, consultants, and training centers, and am afforded the ability to exchange drawings with other designers, timber framers, and architects.

Also as the "de facto" industry standard, most other programs provide an option to convert their drawings to an AutoCAD format, albeit quirky at times.

Anyway, thats my totally biased opinion...I could keep going...but I'll spare you!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users