Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
steam bending timber #5339 01/28/05 03:14 AM
T
Todd Farr Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am working on a project with a curved brace that is about 12' long and has a radius of 10', I plan on finding timber with a natural sweep and sawing with grain, but want to know if anyone has ever tried to steam bend timber before. THe species is Ash and the dimensions are 6x8 or 6x6 12' long. also if anyone has any advise about working with Ash that would be appreciated, my first time working Ash.

Re: steam bending timber #5340 01/28/05 11:45 AM
Will Truax Offline
Folks have successfully steam bent timber, most notably Mr. Levin who published an article on the project and the process in FWW many years ago.

I have worked Ash many times and find it fine framing timber, though it does check heavily. The properties that make it the choice of basket makers, the ability to, with finesse easily separate the layers into slats, might make me hesitant to attempt forced bending. Though that is pure supposition and gut reaction.

I have much experience in the milling of, and framing with natural curves including Ash, and can offer advice in that. I would start by suggesting that having in mind some particular species, most especially with your need for such a tight radius in such a short stick, adds unnecessarily to the time needed in finding it.

Be your best

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users