Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
loblolly timbers #5459 09/26/05 10:17 PM
K
kevjay Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My wife and I are doing a TF add-on, and I have a question regarding the use of green loblolly pine for the project.
I am about to fell 40 to 50 and cut them into beams for the project. My question is will I have to worry about bugs by not cooking them in a kiln?
I read/hear differing views on this depending on who I talk to/what I read, but I need to make a decision yesterday.
Will I have a problem down the road if I cut them now, now being September?
That would probably put me cutting joints the first week of Nov all things considered.
Thanks, Kevin.

Re: loblolly timbers #5460 09/26/05 11:37 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but the sap is going down(therefore in the trunk wood) in my area, and this is NOT a good time to cut.... might be fine further south, I'm in ontario. further into the fall would be better(the sap should be down to the roots) if that helps answer your question. Our best times are from nov-march and then july/aug
Have you felled a tree or two to see if the sap is gushing????

Re: loblolly timbers #5461 09/27/05 04:38 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Kevjay,

I have used green loblolly pine in quite a few timber frames. It is a great wood, but it can twist and move quite a bit.

As for insects, you shouldn't have a problem if (1) the logs are not currently infested, (2) they are sawn promptly, (3) the timbers are stored well off the ground (a foot or so) with at least 2" stickers between layers and the top covered, but not the sides or ends. Every time I have found bugs it has been a case of the logs laying around too long. These actions will also minimize the risk of blue staining.

As for the time of year, you should be fine to cut them now. I would think that anywhere loblolly grows it is still the growing season.

Good luck and keep us updated,

Gabel

Re: loblolly timbers #5462 09/28/05 01:24 AM
K
kevjay Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Mark, yes I think the geo-locale makes a difference smile

Gabel, this is good news. Another question for you .... how can I tell if they are infested? We have a stand of slash pine which has been getting attacked for the last 3 years, and that stand is less than 500 yards from the edge of the loblollies. Should I just assume they are in the loblolly too, just not seeing them yet as we are in the slash?
Of course, I know we can get our County Ag guy to come out and tell us what he thinks, and perhaps even the State will send out someone although I don't know.
Thanks for the info - both of you.
Kevin

Re: loblolly timbers #5463 10/03/05 12:13 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Kevjay,

I would think you would be seeing the same signs in the loblolly as you are in the slash if they are infested. I would have your county ag extension agent come out and give it a look or refer you to someone who will (for free).

have fun,

Gabel

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users