Print Thread
Rate Thread
help on timber deck-pictures included #5495 01/07/06 07:12 PM
T
timberdreams Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello:
I am new on this forum but seems to be a great place to ask questions.
We are building a new deck/sunroom for our house.
The addition faces south.
I drew up this design that would incorporate the two ideas that we would like to accomplish.
1. we would like a sun room on the one side so we can sit in there in the winter and be comfortable because of the passive sunlight thoughout the day
2. have a low deck on the other side so as to not block the sunlight from entering the big bay window on our home.
I did the design but showed it to a few friends and they all said the same thing "it just doesnt seem right, seems lopsided"
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of soemthing they built or designed. I have no problems starting from scratch again.
Thanks
Dan

Re: help on timber deck-pictures included #5496 01/09/06 05:08 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Before you settle on a design the first obvious question is what if the minimum offset from the street permitted by the code in your town ?
Many homes have been built so close to that line only a variance will permit you to intrude on the space.

Re: help on timber deck-pictures included #5497 01/09/06 04:23 PM
J
John Buday Offline
J
Emmett has a good point regarding set back.
Assuming you have cleared that hurdle here is some more input.
Move the stairs forward so that you have at least a landing to access the deck from the front dr.
The lintel above the walk entrance will seem low when you exit the house, you may want to raise it
At the lower deck location you may want to consider a concrete slab or other patio materials. Much cheaper and no maintenance
Regarding "lopsided", tell them that they are symmetry freaks and move on, I like the layout.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users