Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Procedures for Documenting Old Barn #5846 05/20/99 09:04 PM
D
dhibbeln Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have a friend how is tearing down old barns in orange county,NY. He is selling the parts etc. I would like to document the structures before he goes to town with his chain saws. Any checklist, ideas on how to go about this?

I know enough about timberframing to recoginze a girt from a dovetail and understand enough about structural engineer to get pictures etc of the key points.

What I am looking for is guidance on the mundane things that one might miss.

The barn he is involved with currently is an old dairy barn on ground floor with upstairs 2 story hay loft.

The joints are all handcut, sawn timbers, exccept for the long sills that are hewn.
Outside skin is 1" tounge and groove 5" wide gound to soffit pieces. Foundation is mix of large stone and concrete. Roof is 7" x 12" slate. Has single cupola in center. Trolley for hay rides on on wooden beam located the roof peak. Interesting that it is not on metal rails.

He has already torn down 2 other structures.
I have no history about the location.
I have only been to this site once but will be returning in the next week to two weeks.

Any suggestion welcome.

David R. Hibbeln
dhibbeln@warwick.net

Re: Procedures for Documenting Old Barn #5847 05/24/99 11:10 AM
R
Rudy R Christian Offline
R
David,

Glad to here you are going to take the time to record these beautiful buildings before they become mantles. The TTRAG survey form and survey checklist are very helpful in recording timber frames.

Email your address to Laura Saeger at queenpost@aol.com

She will mail you copies. Your interest in these old buildings is the basis of what TTRAG is doing. Have you considered becoming a member? The conferences are quite educational, and the people you will become aquointed with are the best source of information concerning historic timber framed buildings I am aware of.

Re: Procedures for Documenting Old Barn #5848 05/24/99 01:18 PM
D
dhibbeln Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the address.
I have thought about joining the timberframers guild and trag, but i don't have a round tuit yet. One of these days when I remember I am going to have to send off a check. I just keep forgetting....

I spoke to the fellow who is doing the deed and he is interested in the concept. His family has known the family whose barn it is since the 1810's, so I have the potential of some oral history and perhaps original source material.

This is all timely, since when I talked to the fellow, he advised me that he has to get back to the take done in the next 2 weeks or so.

He thinks that the structure was a rebuild done in early 1900's on an older foundation.
Sills are handhewn and the there is a foundatation wall of laid stone with a concrete face.

He was wondering if there was any base of knowledge on how to take down barns safely with the minimum of damage to the parts as well has to people.

Will send email to the addresss you gave.

Will advise on what I learn.

Regards,

David R. Hibbeln
dhibbeln@warwick.net

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users