Print Thread
Rate Thread
making sandwich panels? #604 09/30/03 02:58 PM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi gang,

As I get closer to finishing my Sobon shed I ponder the various methods to close it in. Being closer to the Arctic Cirle than my good friends south of the border I need some insulation for winter!

Problem is my shed is in a temporary spot for the winter and it will be moved next year. I need something that I can take apart in the spring.

I was considering a 2x4 stud wall insulated & OSB on the outside of the frame. Nailed into the frame with spikes, and sitting on a ledge for support.

Or I was considering making my own panels somehow. I am looking at about $1 per sq' for R10 rigid insulation. And another $1 per sq' for OSB and drywall on each side. If I went this route, some books say contact cement, but would construction adhesive work better?

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions appreciated!

Basically I want to use my shed as a woodworking shop during the cold winter months here......

Bruce,

Re: making sandwich panels? #605 10/01/03 10:14 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Hi Bruce

I have never tried to make panels, so for what this may be worth. Try calling a tech rep from the foam manufactor and ask about chemically compatable adhesives to the specific foam board. Contact cement assembly and alignment can be aided by placing strong paper sheets between the laminates, align laminates and progressively pull out the sheets. Wet adhesives require time and clamps and would be difficult in a productive manner to assemble.

Re: making sandwich panels? #606 10/02/03 08:17 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
If you choose to make your own panels then you should consider attaching them to the frame using "panel" screws. These screws are very long and you might be able to unscrew the panel when you need to move your building.
As for making your own panels, you should take the advice above and contact them. Making a panel sounds easy but if you don't reproduce the environment needed for making them correctly, as in right temperature, right pressure, right glue, then you could have some problems with them.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users