Print Thread
Rate Thread
Old Barn Questions #6049 01/06/06 05:45 AM
N
Nicolle Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello,

I just recently purchased land with an old barn in Tennessee and I have some questions. The barn is constructed more like a log cabin than a barn, it is made of very large notched timbers stacked and mortared like a log cabin. Is this what is refered to as "timber frame"? If not does anyone know the name of the style? The property at one time was a tobacco farm and this barn was used to store tobacco . I don't know what species the wood is, how can I about identifying it? There were many old growth cypress trees on the property that were recently logged prior to my purchase so it could be cypress but I don't know.

At this time I don't have a use for the barn and have read that old barn wood is very popular for flooring and also to be reconstructed elsewhere. Has anyone had any experience with selling old barns? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nicolle

Re: Old Barn Questions #6050 01/06/06 05:41 PM
S
Scott McClure Offline
S
Congratulations on your new acqusition! You might try to contact a local historic preservation group in your area to see what information they can provide.
It's nice to know that you appreciate the value of your barn, but dismantling for salvage or reconstruction elsewhere is generally considered sort of a last resort, as significant historic context is lost. As long as it's got a decent roof, why not live with it for a while & see if any opportunities arise for use where it is?
Best of luck,
Scott

Re: Old Barn Questions #6051 01/06/06 08:05 PM
E
Emmett C Greenleaf Offline
E
Nicole,
Just how deeply do you want to pursue the info on your log structure ? In addition to the local history folks try any of the following:
a. Download the wood handbook from the guild website
b. Contact a local university with a forestry college
c. Visit the library for source material
d. decide if you want to preserve the structure or sell/reuse the material
e. Contact you local Ag agent for info too
f. Visit the TFBC website for a timber frame firm close to you
g. Contact one of the companies who are in the barn deconstruction business

good luck,
deralte

Re: Old Barn Questions #6052 01/09/06 05:46 PM
N
Nicolle Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I've found out that the US forest service offers 5 free wood species identifications per US citizen each year. I'm sending off a sample to have it identified then at least I'll know a little more about it. I hadn't thought of historical societies; I guess I just thought they dealt with homes and public buildings but it makes sense that they may have information about barns as well.

I'm definitely interested in learning more about it and putting in a little leg work to find out more. It's become my hobby!
Thanks again,
Nicolle

Re: Old Barn Questions #6053 01/10/06 09:33 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Nicole,
Now that the bug has bitten, join the guild and meet the worlds' finest bunch of real people.
deralte

Re: Old Barn Questions #6054 01/20/06 11:15 PM
R
Randy Churchill Offline
R
Great to see you wanting to do something positive with the barn - keep us posted.

Here in VT we have a great state system that has most of the barns recorded - you can call and they'll tell you lots about a particular barn right there on the phone. Don't know if Tenn has such a thing.

Scott's right, if you can use "as is" or fix it up and keep its shape/character you've done history a big service. Wish it happened more.

We use a lot of salvaged wood for new projects - old pieces cut into a new frame. A much better use than firewood. Very little money in it for the owner though. A big expense in getting it down and cleaned up for reuse. There is a market for flooring, etc. but don't expect anyone to give you lots for a standing old barn. Standing barn might cost you something to get rid of (most barns), or be worth up to a couple thousand for something really special (1 in 100). Something with a really neat history might be worth more (1 in 500).

Get a local timber framer or historian to look at it and give you a report. Nice of you to pay a bit for their time to look, usually cost them 1-4 hours. I ask folks to kick $50-100 into the shop pizza fund and get a pretty good response - still doesn't cover costs but it helps. I get quite a few calls to do surveys for insurance purposes and bill by the hour, including written report. Those rarely lead to a job for me, but it is neat to see the old barns.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users