Print Thread
Rate Thread
CONVERTING AN OLD BARN #6057 01/17/06 01:14 AM
A
AARON M Offline OP
OP Offline
A
HELLO,

I HAVE BEEN DOING RESEARCH ON TIMBERFRAMING ETC, FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW. I PLAN ON CONSTRUCTING A HOME WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR TO YEAR AND A HALF. THE PLAN WAS TO HAVE A NEW FRAME CUT AND ERECTED. MY THOUGHTS CHANGED RECENTLY WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT A LOCAL INDIVIDUAL WAS INTERESTED IN SELLING AN EXISTING BARN FRAME. I PLAN ON ACTING AS THE GENERAL FOR THE PROJECT NO MATTER IF I USE AN EXISTING FRAME OR A NEW ONE. I AM A HVAC/PLUMBING CONTRACTOR BY TRADE BUT I WOULD TURN OVER ALL DUTIES INVOLVING THE FRAME AND SIPS TO THE EXPERTS. BASICALLY I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING A FRAMER/ CONSULTANT TO HELP WITH RESTORING AND RELOCATING THE FRAME. I AM NOT SURE WHERE TO BEGIN THIS PROCESS OR EVEN IF THE FRAME CAN BE USED. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I AM LOCATED IN THE ERIE, PENNSYLVANIA AREA AND I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY LOCAL INDIVIDUALS THAT HANDLE SUCH TASKS. IF ANYONE COULD POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. THANK YOU.

Re: CONVERTING AN OLD BARN #6058 01/20/06 11:25 PM
R
Randy Churchill Offline
R
Good for you, hope you can follow through with the plan. Need a survey of old barn - might be great, might be a nightmare. Might save you money (rare) or it might cost you more than "new" frame. You have LOTS of options. First step - find a timber framer (from TFG directory) in your area and pay them $100 to take a look, covers fuel and is polite for the 1-4 hours they will be giving you. See if Leon Buckwalter can pay a visit, or Rudy Christian - I know there are closer folks but don't have any names at hand.

A few TF shops specialize in working with old stuff. Some fix it as it is, others take timbers and cut a new frame out of it. If it has to come down and be moved that requires some special skills. Don't worry about trucking the frame a ways, the few grand of trucking is small part of your cost.

Lots of us can help in one way or another. You need a survey first.

Re: CONVERTING AN OLD BARN #6059 01/23/06 11:14 PM
A
AARON M Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for the reply and for the helpful information. I have gotten a couple other replies directly on e-mail so I am starting to put a good base together. As far as finding someone to complete the survey I do have a couple of names already and that is the second time that Rudy Christian has been recommended to me. I wouldn't have to worry so much about the transportation cost since the current barn site is less than two miles from where I plan to build. I do realize there are more obstacles to overcome than distance though. I have also located two crews in the area that have experience with relocating a barn. I was fortunate enough to see the finished product on a project that was finished a little over a year ago. The building was not converted into a residence but the guys that handled it came highly recommended. I am not sure if this is the type of project that can use a couple of different groups to get the job done or if it should be streamlined from start to finish with a specific individual or company. Also who do you talk to that can verify the structural integrity of the building to satisfy code officials. Our company has a good relationship with the local code official but I have not contacted him yet to see what he needs to approve the structure. Again thank you for your reply and your time.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users