Recently I got this email from a fellow timber framer:

If you will pardon the cliché, I would like to sell you a bridge.
The town of Newmarket, NH recently lost a covered bridge. In the greater picture, this was the last covered bridge in Rockingham County. Originally built in 1847, the bridge was a modified town lattice type truss. The bridge spanned between two stone factories and was used by workers to move products between production areas. Later in its life, a cover was added to the bridge to protect the bridge and the workers the floods that came through this area in the middle of May washed out one of the center stone supports, and the bridge was washed downstream. Showing the strength of a timber frame truss, much of the bridge was found, and towed back up river and currently remains in the water near the Newmarket public works garage. Approximately two 75 foot long sections of each side of the bridge survived intact. In addition, two 30 foot long sections were also salvaged. The town has said that it wants to use the remains of the bridge to span an area inside of a town park. What we need from volunteers is this; In order to get the bridge back up onto dry land, the best way would be to have 60 people carry it up onto dry land. It is fragile without the floor system, so heavy machinery would not be the best option. The best time to do this would be on Saturday August 19th, because on that day, high tide (which we need to work with) will be at 10:53 am. This is not a TFG sponsored event. If you choose to help, you will be doing so at your own risk. Please let me know if you can help. Or, if you know of others who would like to help, please feel free to spread the word. Once you have contacted me, I will email you more information regarding directions, a schedule for the day, a small equipment list and photographs of the bridge. Please feel free to email any questions to me, or call.
Thank you.
Dan Boyle
(207)-384-5652 (h)
(603) 781-9907 (w)
supperbucket@comcast.net

I have spoken to Dan recently and still needs a few volunteers to help with this weekend's project.
If you're in the area and can help please stop by.

Jim Rogers

PS. You can email me or Dan for further details.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!