Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Barn Prices #6207 11/12/06 09:38 PM
O
oldsch Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I'd like to purchase an old barn to move and re-assemble on my property. All of the people I've talked to so far want a bid or best offer and I have no idea what the going rate is. I assume the market is driven by the reclaimed lumber people and from what I've seen reclaimed lumber is way overpriced. Just my opinion. I have no way to estimate based on lumber because I'm not in that business.
So what does an average barn go for???
Say, 100yrs old, 40x50, good to fair cond.,
a few rotted timbers but soild.
I'm in western PA.
Thanks

Re: Barn Prices #6208 11/14/06 03:46 AM
E
Emmett C Greenleaf Offline
E
Factors to consider in pricing a deconstruct.
How clean does the seller expect the site to be when you are finished ? Who does the cleanup ?
How easy is the access for big flatbeds on which to move the pieces ?
what is the nominal board footage of each size group ?
what is the species of wood(s) ?
how much junk (rot etc) do you have to remove before you move the good stuff ?
Is there power onsite for tools ? (bring a generator ?)
whose ladders ?
whose front loader (preferable one with enuff lift go get to the roof members)
is deconstruct plan safe ?
what time or weather constraints are in place ?
ask local lumber supplier for price guidelines by species and size for new stock

who provides/pays the crew ?

and the beat goes on

Re: Barn Prices #6209 11/23/06 02:17 AM
C
cover2 Offline
C
Here is site for barns that I'm sure most of you
have seen. Looks like a grat place to start your barn search.
http://www.oldbarnwoodsite.com/old_barns_for_sale.htm

Re: Barn Prices #6210 12/05/06 06:12 PM
C
Christopher Hoppe Offline
C
I asked the same question years ago. A friend of mine in the business of barn relocation suggested that a six pack is a good price to pay, but definitely no more than a six pack and a pizza. Using this information, I suggested to the owner of a barn who wanted it removed, that he would pay for the first 30 yard dumpster and I would leave him a clean site. I also made sure that I had permission to burn wood in barrels on his property. He did not think that this was a very good deal and we parted ways. Two months later I got a call from the same owner saying that it sounded like a fair deal and we were on.
I had the dumpster placed 15' from one gable end so that I could use it to anchor the guy for my a-frame gin pole for lowering the bents.
It was off of a heavily travelled road, so I stripped the back side of the roof and the back and two gable ends of siding before touching the front. This kept the curious at bay until I got to the front. I only used the one dumpster, mostly for the roof sheathing with the many layers of roofing still attached. I worked alone until the frame takedown. Then I used friends in exchange for a good workout and a good meal afterwards.
Good Luck!

Re: Barn Prices #6211 02/19/07 02:52 AM
T
Timbo Offline
T
Probably late. What prev. posts said was right on. There are many barn out there and if you look long enough you will find good deals. I've never paid more than $ 1 for a barn and that one was 100' x 40' with a slate roof full salvage right and limited clean up. A client once paid $ 2,500 for a barn (he said) that I moved for him. I got full salvage rights , limited clean-up and the barn had been used as a store house for a local remodeling contractor! Don't fall for the first barn you meet. p.s. Try local penny saver rags for cheap advertisment

Timothy W Longmore

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users