Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6263 02/06/07 02:01 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
ooooooo I like that...
Is it yours, Derek? Or did you do it for someone else?

Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6265 02/06/07 09:33 PM
brad_bb Offline OP
OP Offline
I am designing a house, my house. I am a newbie to Timber framing, but before you jump on me let me say that I am an ME and have artistic ability. I have managed many large projects and am accustomed to the kind of work large projects entail. Now here's where you'll probably jump on me...
I am planning my house to entail one large great room that is (at present) 40X46. This great room is sub divided into 6 spaces - 6 16X16 foot rooms at the four corners, 2 14X16 rooms in the center on each side and a central hall that is 7 feet wide the lengh of the room(46ft). when I say room or hall, I don't mean there are any interior walls. The center of the room has 4 posts that create the so called division of the rooms(also necessary to support the weight of the 2 center bents). They are really just spaces that will each be used for something different. The room will also be used for family holiday parties. We typically have 40-60 guests. The ceiling in the center is 18feet. The roof is broken and from 18 feet up is a bonus room with 7 foot knee walls(if you can call them knee walls). The peak of the roof ends up at 32 feet. The bonus room is 15 feet wide and 46 feet long(can be divided). Breaking up the roof with the bonus room allows for 16 foot roof rafters on the lean to's and 12 foot on the bonus room.
The point of this structure is to have one large room on one level for family get togethers and so that activities are done in one area - living room with TV, Office, kids play area...what what ever else is decided. One level so there is not constant going up an down stairs - let kids do that, when I'm old, I want only 1 level living.
This structure looks like a tall barn with lean to on each side. The outside lean to walls are 10ft. I am just in the creative stages of this structure now. I am also looking at doing a basement whereby large concrete cylindrical piers will rise from the basement floor to the main floor providing support for the posts. I envision coating all of the concrete as well as cladding the peirs in wood from floor to ceiling much like an oak barrel with steel bands. The posts and beams will be grand too. Attached to this grand structure will be another timber frame where the roof is 90 degrees to the 1st structure. This will hold the large kitchen, bathrooms, master bedroom on 1st floor, kids bedrooms upstairs, Mud room, foyer. I'm not sure if this will house the garage or if it will connect to the garage/shop. I already have a Steel I beam frame workshop ready to assemble(which will be assembled first on the site).
I can dream big can't I? The grand hall will be framed with very large recliamed clear non-barn beams, the bonus room above will likely use reclaimed barn beams, and the living space attached to the grand hall will as of now use reclaimed barn beams.
This is the initial thinking. It will likely be revised as I'm still sketching it up and working out details. I'm not ready to post pics yet, but will in the future.
Some have called me nuts, but then had to take it back when I did what I said I was going to do...

Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6266 02/06/07 10:58 PM
P
P Smith Offline
P
Brad,

I like the way your thinking big. With a structure that big have you considered using an extant barn. Browse some of these "Project Tours" to see both a barn transformed into a house and a "new" structure crafted out of old timbers.
http://www.lanoueinc.com/project_tours.html

I look forward to hearing more about your project.

PS - I hope this link comes through.

Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6267 02/06/07 11:40 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
sounds like a great project.
keep us posted.

gh

Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6269 02/07/07 04:27 PM
brad_bb Offline OP
OP Offline
In due time sir, in due time. I'm starting with the ultimate fantasy layout and then doing some cost estimating(already done some rough calcs) to determine what is really feasable and then looking for ways to save money or cut costs. I don't want to be stuck with a lot of house and not be able to afford to finish it or furnish it smile either. In the mean time I'm going to keep my eye out for a nice doctor to marry wink
The way to achieve big things is to dream big and have the will to make it happen. What was it that Jesse James the bike builder said.. "I like to bite off just a little bit more than I think we can do".
Alright, alright..here's the first sketch of the first end bent. A couple beams and braces are still missing from this pic, but it shows the idea of the layout. One square equals one foot. Bonus room is on top. All area below bonus room is open (no floors or walls). The doorway frame is shown. In the middle two bents, the main posts are set further inboard in line with the doorway posts.

Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6270 02/08/07 12:55 AM
daiku Offline
BB: One thing jumps out at me right away, and that's the top rafter pair. There's nothing tieing the rafter feet together. Since the roof pitch is less than 12/12, the outward rafter thrust will be greater than the roof load. In your case, the center posts will experience a large bending force right where the shed rafters come in. Also, the joint where those posts join to the upper tie beam is in a great deal of tension. You'll have to do the math to see if your post is big enough to handle the bending, and the joint is tough enough to handle the tension. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6271 02/08/07 01:56 AM
T
Timbo Offline
T
Daiku's right ,neat design but looks weak up top. That be a good place for a hammer beam truss. If you're gonna dream dream big. Collar ties would probably work to.

Timothy W Longmore
Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6272 02/08/07 05:00 AM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
It also looks to be about 10ft. taller than our local zoning would allow. Something to check out before investing a lot of energy on your design.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6273 02/08/07 04:36 PM
brad_bb Offline OP
OP Offline
Yep, as I mentioned, there are a few things missing from this drawing. I didn't draw in the tie beam between those upper rafters, but did realize I need it there. Like it said, it's just rough first sketch and needs refinement and adjustment. Maybe I posted it too early, but I figured you all would want to get an idea of what I was thinking about. I do welcome all of your comments though as I'm sure others will see something I miss.
As far as zoning, don't know the rules yet, but It's going to be out in the country. When I get a design I like in a few weeks, I'll start looking into county building codes etc.

Re: Barn beam old mortice?#2 #6274 02/11/07 03:48 PM
D
Dan F Offline
D
Brad,
It's the 21st century. Thanks to managed care, most doctors make only a little more than timber framers. Go for a lawyer wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users