Print Thread
Rate Thread
M&M's dismantling #6368 08/06/02 02:25 PM
S
Shaun Garvey Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello M&M, (and everyone else)

I just read thru the thread you started on tagging. I am currently in the planning stages of a Spring '03 dismantling project. I would love to hear a summary of how your project goes when you have completed the dismantling.

I am a beginner timberframer and intend to dismantle and relocate this frame to use as a addition to my home. This will be my 3rd tF project with a loft addition to my home being #1 and a Oak and Butternut wedged-tread staircase being #2. I live near Jack Sobon and plan to hire him to help with the dimantling.

My project is a mid/late 1800's 30'x40' horse barn which was converted into a store [clothing butique] in the 50's-60's and is now to be taken down. I believe it to be a scribe rule structure as there are no housings at the joints, though i have not looked close enough to find marriage marks yet. It is a combo of sawn and hewed timbers of a species I have not determined yet. The hewed timbers seem to be the sill plates and corner posts for whatever reason?? It is 1.5 stories with a perlin style roof and spiked rafters (vs. pegged).

I'd be interested in what your project is like in comparision.

I still need to call my local building inspector to be sure i will be able to use this structure as a dwelling (per Jim Rogers' suggestion). I will be looking at removal of a lot of trash (sheetrock, insulation, carpeting, wiring, door and window framing etc...

It does have a slate roof and lots of nice copper flashing which i will try and salvage along with many nice old divided-light windows, flooring and Wrought Iron hardware. I must pay for about 1/2 of the dumpsters to remove the debris (2-4 i am estimating), but my feeling is it will be worth it for all the extras i am getting along with the frame, which even Jack Sobon termed as "a nice frame".

Thanks for your time and any insight you may be able to offer.

Shaun garvey
Dalton, MA

Shaun Garvey
berkshirebarns.com
Dalton, MA
Re: M&M's dismantling #6369 08/07/02 01:37 AM
M
m&m Offline
M
Hi Shaun
I haven't started my project yet but when I do I will post my progress here. Also good luck with your new frame. Mike

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users